Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.



Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?  (Read 2624 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline FragrantPilot

  • Versys Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: gb
How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« on: Dec 12, 2021, 12:43 AM »
I know it's very subjective and there is no definitive answer but hear my out.

Setting:
City of Glasgow
Long U-lock on the back wheel
Disc lock on back wheel
Back wheel chained to the post
GPS and short range rfid
Factory immobilizer
Bike Value 8k 2019 (dealership price)

I am thinking of upgrading and I would probably rather buy used versys 1000 2019 than a new versys 650 2022 for the same amount (more feature-rich, more accessories)

The problem is insurance for versys 1000. The cheapest quote is around 1,600 for the third party, fire and theft where is third part only is at 500. I am already pushing my finances by looking at newish versys so that 1000 extra makes a difference

Now what I am trying to convince myself that insurance including theft isn't very necessary due to:
Already overdoing with security
Heavy "budget" range 1000cc touring bikes aren't that popular for thiefs (where's sport and deliveroo bikes sit on the opposite side of the spectrum)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2021, 12:45 AM by FragrantPilot »

Offline runtothehills

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 134
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • City / Town: Cardigan
  • Country: wales
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2021, 01:00 AM »
Thoughts in order are:
That is a lot of money.
OUCH!
have a look at these insurer approved chains and locks.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-security
Find some immovable street furniture to lock it to, preferably with electric running through it and a camera pointed at it.
Park it next to a more desireable bike with less security.
All said though, Glasgow is a random town which becomes a circus every 2am Sunday morning.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2021, 01:03 AM by runtothehills »
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline FragrantPilot

  • Versys Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2021, 01:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
Thoughts in order are:
That is a lot of money.
OUCH!
have a look at these insurer approved chains and locks.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-security
Find some immovable street furniture to lock it to, preferably with electric running through it and a camera pointed at it.
Park it next to a more desireable bike with less security.
All said though, Glasgow is a random town which becomes a circus every 2am Sunday morning.
Good luck.
2am circus that is very true.
I don't believe that any lock actually gives any discount but I will give another go

It is a lot of money to be lost in case of theft but in essence, I will be paying 1000 quid to ensure will get 6.5k back ( 8k  - 1k for excess - 500-1000 for market evaluation part, and I need work out as well what it would mean be losing 2 years of no claims discount)

Ive checked the quote on bennets and hear this - they will ensure 8.5k bike for 7.3k annual third party fire and theft lol

Offline Shandy

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 883
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:34 AM »
Ouch, that is rough.

on one hand it's nice to know that Londoners like me are not the only one's being shafted for insurance.

Mine too is over 1k for a 2019 V650 GT.

If you're unfortunate enough to have to keep your bike outside and worse on the street. Then the best piece of security equipment and just general protection is a bike cover!
If bike is covered then it's less tempting to potential thieves, as they can't see what's under it.
A visible high security lock (thatchman approved, and yes it does make a difference to your insurance).

have you tried Fully comp quotes? weirdly they can sometimes come out cheaper, no idea why.

The things you have to ask yourself are:
1. If stolen, could you afford to replace her without insurance?
2. could you live without a bike if stolen and not replaced, all whilst presumably still paying for it on finance.
3. Why are you living in Glasgow?  :008: (sorry  :2:)

it got soooo bad in London during 2015 - 2018 ish that the Met police ran a security campaign alongside Data Tag where they were offering motorcyclists the opportunity to just turn up, get their bike security marked for free in some boroughs and heavily reduced in others. The cops were even giving out FREE bike covers and cheap disk locks!
That's how much they believed that just a simple visible deterrent such as disk lock and keeping your bike covered reduced the chances of your bike being stolen!

Amazingly, something like 70% f bikess parked n London during the day are STILL parked with nothing more than a steering lock  :5:

but their stupidity is your gain as it gives you the opportunity to make a small investment and keep your bike safe!

A cover and chain, ideally locked to lamp post really are the best prevention methods.

Lastly is a Tracker, insurers really do like these now and again so long as it's Thatchman approved, it will win you a discount. It's amazing just how many bikes ARE recovered by Police, security firms and vigilante groups in London. And one tracker often reveals a host of other stolen bikes when investigated by police.

Lastly, do you really need another bike? It sounds like the one you have is pretty nice anyway!

If you're looking for a cheaper option, I have a 2019 V650 GT that'll be going on sale around Feb, cheaper to insure than the1k!  :2:

the other thing is just keep hunting, insurance companies keep changing their prices and will often give you a better deal if you call them directly. I'm with Carole Nash this year, as opposed to Kawasaki insurance last year. The difference in price was huge between last year and this for Kawasaki and previously, Carole Nash would never have even touched me  :027:

good luck dude and hope it works out, whatever you do.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2021, 08:35 AM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Onslowe

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 452
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
  • Country: england
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:10 AM »
What bike do you currently have and how do you have it insured ? There are plenty of great bikes for £5000, maybe you already have one of them, that will be cheaper to insure and more suited to the streets of Glasgow (I assume you will be travelling much further if planning on the V 1000 or 2 up or otherwise it's overkill). Having said that I am the sort of person who would stress about the bike if not fully insured and would need fully comp or choose a different bike as what if you drop it on the hilly, pot hole ridden, diesel strewn city streets of Glasgow. If you are more of the laid back, take a risk, follow your dreams person then go for it  :152:
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline Shandy

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 883
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
What bike do you currently have and how do you have it insured ? There are plenty of great bikes for £5000, maybe you already have one of them, that will be cheaper to insure and more suited to the streets of Glasgow (I assume you will be travelling much further if planning on the V 1000 or 2 up or otherwise it's overkill). Having said that I am the sort of person who would stress about the bike if not fully insured and would need fully comp or choose a different bike as what if you drop it on the hilly, pot hole ridden, diesel strewn city streets of Glasgow. If you are more of the laid back, take a risk, follow your dreams person then go for it  :152:

 :89:

He's got a Mk2 V650  :004: ... Change is definetly required, just for the sake of saving his eyesight from the uglyness  :4:

but I agree a V1k would quite possibly be unnecessary overkill.

On the recent NVM in Wales, I travelled with someone on the V1k and not once did wish I had that bike instead, apart from a very small moment when on the motorway, but even then my 650 was able to hold it's own and never uncomfortable. Despite being fully loaded with 3 piece luggage and tent!

Don't underestimate the 650 and go chasing CC unnecessarily.

Good luck whatever you decide.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Topbox

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 75
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Wow, that's an eye watering insurance quote, and I complain about my premium.

You donít say if thats with maximum no claims discount or if that's the cheapest quote from a comparison website.

Personally I prefer to keep outgoings down and spend the savings on riding even if its a slower bike. Anyhoo, if your expecting more discount in the next year or so I'd  wait before changing, although reading between the lines I think you've already decided to get the 1000 and just seeking some support for the decision.

TB

Offline FragrantPilot

  • Versys Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2021, 12:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]

If you're unfortunate enough to have to keep your bike outside and worse on the street. Then the best piece of security equipment and just general protection is a bike cover!
If bike is covered then it's less tempting to potential thieves, as they can't see what's under it.

Bike cover is inconvenient. I have nowhere to put it other than running up to my flat. Also, my v650 has a pretty tall screen (swmotech with spoiler) so I would need to look hard to find the cover that fits

*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
A visible high security lock (thatchman approved, and yes it does make a difference to your insurance).

It's worth knowing that thacham has stopped approving motorbike locks years ago. So you only have sold secure now


*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
have you tried Fully comp quotes? weirdly they can sometimes come out cheaper, no idea why.

Yes, that starts at 1800 for v1000 but cheaper for new v650 2021 weirdly.


*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
The things you have to ask yourself are:
1. If stolen, could you afford to replace her without insurance?
2. could you live without a bike if stolen and not replaced, all whilst presumably still paying for it on finance.
3. Why are you living in Glasgow?  :008: (sorry  :2:)

1. Ofcourse not. I will go back to some beatup mk2 for a while
2. I already had my previous 125cc stolen and it took 2 months from day of the incident to get my money back. So I would expect the same in case of v1000 being stolen
3. Because water here doesn't taste like shyte


*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Lastly is a Tracker, insurers really do like these now and again so long as it's Thatchman approved, it will win you a discount. It's amazing just how many bikes ARE recovered by Police, security firms and vigilante groups in London. And one tracker often reveals a host of other stolen bikes when investigated by police.
I will need fit in the tracker after I bought the bike so that wont give me a discount I look for 1st year of insurance. Tracker will cost 450-500 altogether. I've just tried few trackers from Tracker (tm) and that made no difference on a comparison website

*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Lastly, do you really need another bike? It sounds like the one you have is pretty nice anyway!
No it's not nice :D It is loud, leaky exhaust, idle warm up not working, not too comfortable and has almost 60k miles on the clock

*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
If you're looking for a cheaper option, I have a 2019 V650 GT that'll be going on sale around Feb, cheaper to insure than the1k!  :2:
I will keep my eyes open for that :D

*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
the other thing is just keep hunting, insurance companies keep changing their prices and will often give you a better deal if you call them directly. I'm with Carole Nash this year, as opposed to Kawasaki insurance last year. The difference in price was huge between last year and this for Kawasaki and previously, Carole Nash would never have even touched me  :027:
I know what you mean. The other week I was given quote of 850 for new  v650 2021 and now it just become more expensive again starting at 1.2k

*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
good luck dude and hope it works out, whatever you do.
Thanks I hope so too

*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Wow, that's an eye watering insurance quote, and I complain about my premium.

You don’t say if thats with maximum no claims discount or if that's the cheapest quote from a comparison website.

Personally I prefer to keep outgoings down and spend the savings on riding even if its a slower bike. Anyhoo, if your expecting more discount in the next year or so I'd  wait before changing, although reading between the lines I think you've already decided to get the 1000 and just seeking some support for the decision.

TB
It's with 3 years NCD. The cheapest quote is actually from lexham at 1300 but that doesn't mean they will actually insure me or if I want to use them. I start having plenty of options from 1600.
I genuinely haven't decided to get 1000. There are tons of other things to consider but the competition is between v650 MK3 vs v650 MK4 vs v1000 2019+ - insurance issue is just one of bigger headaches. There is a very good chance I will just stick to suffering on my current bike because insurance is gatekeeping me from getting what I want

*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
:89:

He's got a Mk2 V650  :004: ... Change is definetly required, just for the sake of saving his eyesight from the uglyness  :4:

but I agree a V1k would quite possibly be unnecessary overkill.

On the recent NVM in Wales, I travelled with someone on the V1k and not once did wish I had that bike instead, apart from a very small moment when on the motorway, but even then my 650 was able to hold it's own and never uncomfortable. Despite being fully loaded with 3 piece luggage and tent!

Don't underestimate the 650 and go chasing CC unnecessarily.

Good luck whatever you decide.
That's correct - v650 2010 and I don't like having 1-2 major break downs/electrical system goblins a year

See, what I picture v1000 is just more comfortable, more feature-rich, safer - sort of more mature version of v650. I am not looking for speed, just safety and comfort - cornering management system, traction control, power modes and LED lights

*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
What bike do you currently have and how do you have it insured ? There are plenty of great bikes for £5000, maybe you already have one of them, that will be cheaper to insure and more suited to the streets of Glasgow (I assume you will be travelling much further if planning on the V 1000 or 2 up or otherwise it's overkill). Having said that I am the sort of person who would stress about the bike if not fully insured and would need fully comp or choose a different bike as what if you drop it on the hilly, pot hole ridden, diesel strewn city streets of Glasgow. If you are more of the laid back, take a risk, follow your dreams person then go for it  :152:
My mk2 is currently on third party only and with a market value of 1,500 tops.
Whatever bike Im getting I will put crash bars on and I already have hard cases so dropping is not an issue
Over last 3 years I've put on average of 14k miles a year so I do travel. With rona and working from home not so much.

The dream is to be safe and comfy on the road :D no matter weather or time of day
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2021, 12:39 PM by FragrantPilot »

Offline Topbox

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 75
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2021, 01:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by FragrantPilot [+]

That's correct - v650 2010 and I don't like having 1-2 major break downs/electrical system goblins a year



Crikey,  I've just bought an 09 with 40000 miles believing these were just about unbreakable. What kind of problems have you been having.

I'd appreciate the heads up.

TB

Offline FragrantPilot

  • Versys Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: gb
Re: How likely Versys 1000 would get stolen?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2021, 02:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Crikey,  I've just bought an 09 with 40000 miles believing these were just about unbreakable. What kind of problems have you been having.

I'd appreciate the heads up.

TB

Let's see if I can remember all issues
exhaust sheared off
Subthrottle valve servos stopped working
corroded connector inside main harness
open wires on main harness making contact with the frame
2 battery changes, 2 faulty rectifiers, 1 faulty stator
Fan replacement (that's a dealers fault tho)

Those are bigger things that I could say broke due to not of my fault. There are bunch fo smaller things as well that needed fixing and replacing so I wont mention that

Two more pending fixes left:
1. Figure out where I am leaking oil (lost like 0.4L over a year)
2. Fix the leak at exhaust header (a gap developed between engine and exhaust header)
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2021, 02:05 PM by FragrantPilot »