Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Introduction - Hi! - wasOrange here  (Read 1924 times)

Offline wasOrange

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 08' Versys 650
Introduction - Hi! - wasOrange here
« on: Dec 15, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Hi. Been looking at the Versys as a second big bike after my first year of Suzuki GS500 ownership was a total failure. Turns out the 280 bike wasn't very reliable, who would have guessed?!
Decided that this time I was going to buy something ready to ride, MOTed and in great condition and save myself from another summer spent in the garage rather than on the road. Still trying to stay within a tight budget I set up ebay/gumtree/autotrader alerts and waited for the perfect deal. Long story short... I couldn't wait, and I've done it again  :138:.
I bought the cheapest gen1 Versys with a long MOT that I could find and have quite a bit of work to do. Stiff and sticky clutch cable, cracked fairings that have been painted black (rest of bike is candy burnt orange), missing seat lock (just a cable to pull), rust on the tank around the cap and a very slight leak from a fork seal. I don't mind the scruffiness too much and the couple of times I've been out on it it's felt really good (other than the crappy clutch pull), so I'm still feeling positive about this...
I Look forward to learning from the forum and hopefully keeping this old Versys on the road for a few more years.

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2021, 04:11 PM by wasOrange »

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Introduction - Hi! - wasOrange here
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2021, 04:40 PM »
 :185: :185: :185:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Clutch cable is an easy and cheap replacement.
Around 20
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144315891738?hash=item2199e5c01a:g:-QgAAOSwi4xhaaV8

A new key set will be a problem because you need to change the ignition barrel and ECU because of the codes
About 200 on Ebay

The fact it is a disgustingly butt ugly mark 1 is going to cost a bit more to fix.
About 3k
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144315781653?hash=item2199e41215:g:hwoAAOSwf~dhqQSW

And welcome from me.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2021, 05:38 PM »
 :185: :biker3:

enjoy the forum and welcome to Versys ownership!

sounds like you've bought yourself a nice .... project  :whistle: :001:

My Mk3 V650 GT will be up for sale around February, if you're fed up and want something a bit newer, and better looking by then.

Otherwise, like I said enjoy the forum, there is loads of people where with lots of helpful knowledge and advice (not me I'm afraid) and ride safe!  :028:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline AnotherTringFellow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum and Versys ownership. Don't listen to Stewie he has no taste and rides a Triumph when it's not in the dealers being repaired.  😄
Current bikes,
2007 Versys 650
2016 Versys 1000
2012 W 800

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2021, 07:26 PM »
 :185:  from the "Great" North-East of England.  :028:

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:49 PM »
High and Welcome from Biggar (Scotland)

Some of those things can be fixed easily

1. Clutch  - New cable and rerouted not under the clip around the head stock, as that tightens up the curves of the cable routing.
2. Weeping fork seal - maybe just a bit of dirt under the seal which can be fixed with a Fork Seal Mate - or make your own out of a plastic cup
3. Cracked Fairings / plastics - give it to a auto repair shop and they can do wonders buffing it up

Any other problems just ask the collective and we should be able to help

Also do not not look at this UBER SECRET RESOUCE  :031: 
Richard    :001: 

PS -

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:08 PM »
 :185: to the forum Mr Orange.
I'm sure that when you have knocked the bike into shape it will serve you well.

The Versys is as tough as old boots, and should look after you well.

Lots of help can be found right here if and when needed.

Enjoy the new bike.   Cheers Geoff   :2:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2021, 10:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a good choice from one budget biker to another.
A well loved mark 1 has done me proud for a few years, and a few twisted miles, always confident and grin making. With one major breakdown due to a stator, but between here and you tube theres not much that you can't fix yourself.
Enjoy the ride when you can, and enjoy the intimacy of getting to know your machine when servicing and rejuvinating her, when you can't.
You could say that Mk1 is a more curvacious incarnation of Versys spirit,  prettier and more playful than the angular, transformer plastic surgery that followed in later marks. :016:

Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline wasOrange

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 08' Versys 650
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2021, 03:33 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
The fact it is a disgustingly butt ugly mark 1 is going to cost a bit more to fix.
I actually prefer the quirky mk1 looks. To me the mk3 looks far too similar to a bunch of other newer bikes like a Ninja or a Tracer or Tiger 660 or even an old FZ6! Pointy nose with dual, sharp cornered, scowlly headlights.
That MK2 that you linked looks tidy though. Same colour scheme as mine, if a bit more intentional.

I've ordered a separate lock and key for the seat. I'll have to live with 2 keys for now  :003:

*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
High and Welcome from Biggar (Scotland)
Less that an hour away from me in Glasgow. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point.
Appreciate the tips. Already had a replacement clutch cable delivered. Re-routing makes sense as it seems very tight round all the bends.

*Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
You could say that Mk1 is a more curvacious incarnation of Versys spirit,  prettier and more playful than the angular, transformer plastic surgery that followed in later marks.
Reassuring to see another MK1 admirer. Who doesn't love some curves!