Author Touring this year.  (Read 3127 times)

• Offline triumph is better

• Versys Pro  ‐    327

Offline triumph is better

• Versys Pro
    Re: Touring this year.
    Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:18 pm
    Jan 12, 2022, 04:18 pm
    A few years back I went from great Yarmouth to portimao to see world superbikes then the following weekend Moto GP was on in Barcelona so went and watched that, I camped every night in some really nice campsites and met some really nice people especially when they see your British number plate and you tell them what your doing, I left great Yarmouth without booking anything not even a ferry ticket, 3 day access all areas including race day at portimao was 52, 3 day access all areas with booked seat in grandstand for whole of race day 60, ferry Dover Calais and then back again was 35 each way, campsites were roughly 10 per night max, to get there I bought a European twat nav that I still use today and I done the whole complete journey with no page/toll roads in any country, I think the total amount I spent with fuel, food, camping, ferry, race tickets, beer absolutely no more than 600. That was in 2014

• Offline runtothehills   wales

• Versys Pro  ‐    134

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
    • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
    • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
    • City / Town: Cardigan
    Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2022, 08:25 pm
    Jan 12, 2022, 08:25 pm
    Nice story, thats my kind of motorbike adventure, spotaneous, just rolling with it, working it out as you go, doing it on a shoestring. Seems hard to imagine now, just 7 years on, progress eh  :027:
    Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

• Versys Pro  ‐    327

• Versys Pro
    Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2022, 02:41 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 02:41 pm
    Could never understand the people that ride bikes and think touring is sitting on motorways at 80mph, just pull out of Calais turn right head towards Bordeaux down the west coast then when you go round the Bordeaux ring road change  your twat nav to Perpignan then set twat nav to reims then back to Calais. There's a weeks bike riding there and don't forget to leave your twat nav set on no toll roads, you'll ride through some fantastic french country roads and highways and pass a million cafes where you can stop and have a coffee and a pee

• Offline Clunkyboy   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    9766

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
    • Scratchin Bros Rider
    Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:24 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 06:24 pm
    Guess it depends on where you want to ride, if you want to spend a week in italy  you probs dont want to spend a week getting there and a week getting back but get the setiment, i've done a bit of both mixing and matching to ride what i want to in the time alowed and juggled when i thought i had time for scnic and didn't and vica versa, and sometimes seen it before so blast past to see summat new
    MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

• Offline Motosunburn   gb

• Versys Member  ‐    20

Offline Motosunburn

• Versys Member
    • City / Town: Exeter
    Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:02 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 05:02 pm
    Plan A, postponed from 2020, was to use my travel-prepped 790 Adventure to ride across central Asia and back, taking in the Road of Bones and the Pamir Highway. Covid put paid to that and annoyingly, it looks like 2022 will be much the same.

Plan B is to buy a 650 Versys (done!) and head north via the Baltic states to the Nordkapp, returning via Iceland.  That's pretty tentative ATM too - hopefully borders will open up a bit in the next few months because if you're crossing one every couple of days covering 13 countries that's a lot of delays and expensive PCR tests.

Enter Plan C, a tour of Ireland, somewhere I know a little as half my family is from there, though a shorter tour than I was hoping.  Maybe top it up with the Round Britain Rally again to keep me off (on) the streets ;)

• Offline Topbox   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    86

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
    • City / Town: Leeds
    Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2022, 06:53 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 06:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by triumph is better [+]
    Could never understand the people that ride bikes and think touring is sitting on motorways at 80mph, just pull out of Calais turn right head towards Bordeaux down the west coast then when you go round the Bordeaux ring road change  your twat nav to Perpignan then set twat nav to reims then back to Calais. There's a weeks bike riding there and don't forget to leave your twat nav set on no toll roads, you'll ride through some fantastic french country roads and highways and pass a million cafes where you can stop and have a coffee and a pee

Yes coffee and a pee ha ha.

There used to be a time when it was coffee and cake / croissant.

TB

• Offline Topbox   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    86

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
    • City / Town: Leeds
    Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2022, 06:56 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 06:56 pm
    *Originally Posted by Motosunburn [+]
    Plan A, postponed from 2020, was to use my travel-prepped 790 Adventure to ride across central Asia and back, taking in the Road of Bones and the Pamir Highway. Covid put paid to that and annoyingly, it looks like 2022 will be much the same.

Plan B is to buy a 650 Versys (done!) and head north via the Baltic states to the Nordkapp, returning via Iceland.  That's pretty tentative ATM too - hopefully borders will open up a bit in the next few months because if you're crossing one every couple of days covering 13 countries that's a lot of delays and expensive PCR tests.

Enter Plan C, a tour of Ireland, somewhere I know a little as half my family is from there, though a shorter tour than I was hoping.  Maybe top it up with the Round Britain Rally again to keep me off (on) the streets ;)

Coincidentally I've bought a 650 for some trips.

This year Nordkap, next year Patagonia and Prudoe Bay. Don't know if I've got the balls for the last two yet.

AND, the 650 has turned into more of a project than I was hoping for.

TB

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    885

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Support Your NHS
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
    Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2022, 02:35 am
    Jan 23, 2022, 02:35 am
    NordKap sounds amazing and definetly on my list of places over the next few years.

I have an idea to tour the UK coastline with a difference.

My dad has always supported the RNLI, not for any particular reason, live in London so not like we're costal people either. Nevertheless, by defalt I've always liked them and now my Daughter is a member of the RNLI kids club.

I digress, I want to take my dad (also rides a motorbike, BMW  :sick: ) around the UK and visit EVERY RNLI station to donate a symbolic 1 at each one. The more I think about it and look into it, the more this brings from a logistical point of view.
    It would not only take you around the mainland, but also include most of the islands around the south, as well as the Scottish isles. some stations  are not even open to the public, so would involve special permissions. There's a few inland ones like Thames and Loch Ness. It would also mean travelling around the whole of Ireland ,as they kept the RNLI after gaining independence. there's also the RNLI hotel and training centre in Poole too.

It's a long trip that would mean taking on some fantastic sites and routes, some thing I want ot do before he gets too old and whilst my health is relatively good.
    A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

• Offline Oldplodder   wales

• Versys God  ‐    1954

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
    • still lovin' it
    • Bike: V650 -Spyder RTL
    • City / Town: Buckley
    Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:01 pm
    Jan 23, 2022, 06:01 pm
    Now that sounds like an interesting ride!

Have you worked out the total mileage on mainland UK?

Dave T
    Now needing stabilisers

• Versys Pro  ‐    327

• Versys Pro
    Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:06 am
    Jan 25, 2022, 11:06 am
    Now that could be a trip to remember and would make a fantastic day 2 day YouTube video thing as well, seeing as the rnli are after good media coverage because of the recent dingy diver debacle