Author Touring this year.  (Read 3126 times)

• Offline jdoyle   ie

• Versys Pro  ‐    302

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
    • City / Town: Wicklow
    Re: Touring this year.
    Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:26 pm
    Jan 25, 2022, 08:26 pm
    *Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
    NordKap sounds amazing and definetly on my list of places over the next few years.

I have an idea to tour the UK coastline with a difference.

My dad has always supported the RNLI, not for any particular reason, live in London so not like we're costal people either. Nevertheless, by defalt I've always liked them and now my Daughter is a member of the RNLI kids club.

I digress, I want to take my dad (also rides a motorbike, BMW  :sick: ) around the UK and visit EVERY RNLI station to donate a symbolic 1 at each one. The more I think about it and look into it, the more this brings from a logistical point of view.
    It would not only take you around the mainland, but also include most of the islands around the south, as well as the Scottish isles. some stations  are not even open to the public, so would involve special permissions. There's a few inland ones like Thames and Loch Ness. It would also mean travelling around the whole of Ireland ,as they kept the RNLI after gaining independence. there's also the RNLI hotel and training centre in Poole too.

It's a long trip that would mean taking on some fantastic sites and routes, some thing I want ot do before he gets too old and whilst my health is relatively good.
    Sounds like a good trek
    There are 46 lifeboat stations in Ireland Locations listed on the attached link if its of any use to you
    https://www.irishlifeboats.com/rnli-lifeboat-stations
    J

• Offline Clunkyboy   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    9766

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
    • Scratchin Bros Rider
    Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:35 am
    Jan 26, 2022, 07:35 am
    Doolin coast guard station is missing from that list  :033:
    MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

• Offline jdoyle   ie

• Versys Pro  ‐    302

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
    • City / Town: Wicklow
    Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:42 pm
    Jan 26, 2022, 05:42 pm
    Looks like the Doolin station was stood down after some interpersonal issues made a portion of the staff resign
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/doolin-coast-guard-unit-stood-down-after-six-resignations-1.4717576

• Offline Clunkyboy   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    9766

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
    • Scratchin Bros Rider
    Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:45 am
    Jan 27, 2022, 07:45 am
    They are back up and running now, been out a couple of times for people who fall the 7-- odd foot of the Cliffs of Moher.
    MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    885

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Support Your NHS
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
    Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2022, 01:20 pm
    Jan 29, 2022, 01:20 pm
    Thanks everyone,

Can't work out the milage just yet, I'm trying to find a definitive list of all the current RNLI stations.
    There's a teatowel with it on, but no wall map or poster! There's then the decision to include the independent lifeboat stations dotted around the country or not?

I'd love to put it on YouTube, but not having a presence on there already, makes it difficult to sell the idea to RNLI. It takes years and big investment in kit to develop a decent following, especially as a MotoVlogger. I might try and get a few current YouTubers involved, especially as it'll be for charity.

Sadly it's all just an idea at the moment and would likely take a couple of years to plan anyway, that's just getting time off work.
    A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!