Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Adventure tyres in particular Mitas E 07  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Adventure tyres in particular Mitas E 07
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:12 PM »
JD has gone through several iterations of the Versys builds, these are what he calls gravel runners, not off-road bikes:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/v649hp-kawasakis-new-gravel-runner.644390/

Probably works best if you start with a really cheap donor bike, like he does.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online Topbox

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2022, 03:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
You can ride Chile to Alaska w/o needing anything more than street tires.  It really depends on how much time you have and what roads (or non-roads) you choose to explore.  If I understand correctly, and you have no off-road experience, the Versys 650, regardless of how modified it ends up being, isn't the best tool to explore those non-roads.  Everything else, whether paved, dry dirt or wet dirt, is still a road.  When you start going off-road, that's where the size, limitations of suspension/clearance and skills really make a difference. 

I've ridden a lot of dirt roads, dry and wet. 

The biggest problem you'll run into is not traction, but ability to evacuate the mud that sticks to the tires.  That's what really kills you on a street oriented bike with a low fender on muddy roads (and it can literally be a road, doesn't have top be very technical or rocky, just sticky mud).  Eventually, the front wheel and fender pack up and the front wheel stops spinning.  The next thing that happens is that you are sitting on your arse next to the bike wondering what the hell happened.  DAMHIK...   :22:  And that happens regardless of what tires you have.  The next thing to worry about is how well your Versys is setup to survive a small crash like that.  Because if your footpeg broke off, or your radiator got damaged, you aren't going to go very far.  The Versys footpeg stays are an especially unsuitable brittle aluminum that breaks just when you look at it wrong.  Again, DAMHIK...   :125:

Gustavo

Helpful thanks

TB

Online Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2022, 04:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
JD has gone through several iterations of the Versys builds, these are what he calls gravel runners, not off-road bikes:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/v649hp-kawasakis-new-gravel-runner.644390/

Probably works best if you start with a really cheap donor bike, like he does.

Gustavo

This is interesting, I shall enjoy reading this.

I note your comments on the versys 650 but I've got the bike now. A proper bike is proper money whereas this is cheap enough to be a disposable asset if it comes to it, and I've now done all the bearings, cables, clearances, servicing and luggage so I'm all in.

I take it you’ve ridden to Ushuaia and Dead Horse from your comments?

Cheers
TB

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2022, 06:28 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean about the bike you have and making it work.  That's OK as long as you don't don't expect it to be an off-road bike.  There are a lot of places to go explore and see that the Versys would be perfectly fine for. 

What kind of luggage are you going to be using?

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:43 AM »
Luggage. The bike came with panniers and I've had some welding done to rake a top case I already had.

Adventurers seem not to like hard luggage so we'll  see how we go. In particular The Motorcycle Adventuer guy on you tuber does like top cases but it will be largely empty just used for my helmet when I'm walking around.

I'm now mulling over lever and engine protection possibly skid plate. However, new they are a large percentage of the cost of the bike.

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2022, 08:16 PM »
A 19" wheel conversion would help like this

https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,11844.msg142244.html#msg142244

It went to Morocco and back with no issues at all.

I still have the wheel and spacers etc and was thinking of dusting it off and putting it on ebay.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Online Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2022, 04:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
A 19" wheel conversion would help like this

https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,11844.msg142244.html#msg142244

It went to Morocco and back with no issues at all.

I still have the wheel and spacers etc and was thinking of dusting it off and putting it on ebay.

That's an interesting conversion, well done. I don't think I can't be bothered with the effort of doing that.

The crash bars look good. Where were they sourced.

TB
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2022, 04:11 AM by Topbox »