Author Another defector heads for the hills  (Read 1774 times)

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    885

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Support Your NHS
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
    Re: Another defector heads for the hills
    Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2022, 01:12 am
    Mar 25, 2022, 01:12 am
    *Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
    :033: Maybe we will be meeting on the side of the road as we await rescue  :027: though I reckon breakdowns are inversely proportional to time spent on maintenance whatever you ride. I had a quick look for reliability ratings and found this: https://monimoto.com/blog/motorcycle-advice/most-reliable-motorcycle-brands/  Reassuring that triumph came in a creditable 6th though less so when you see it sandwiched between Harleys and Ducati.

The 'big four' at the top is no surprise, we can discount that as a given.

The only reason HD ranked above is because most of them either spend most of the time in the garage being polished rather than ridden and when they are ridden, it's usually off the road at the first bend! So their crashed before they have a chance to break down  :008:

Triumph above BMW, that's a win! Typically with BMW's when they do go wrong it's usually a catastrophic electrical failure. Let's not forget the ongoing issues with the battery and starting issues on early 1250 GSA's that BMW still refuse to recognise.

Ducati... enough said.

I think it's hilarious that there so bad KTM didn't even feature  :4:
    A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

• Online 100milesaway   gb

• Versys God  ‐    2284

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
    • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
    • City / Town: Leyburn
    Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2022, 05:34 pm
    Mar 25, 2022, 05:34 pm
    Three of my mates bought Triumphs. After many warranty claims, and in two cases months without bikes. One of the lads is now a gibbering buffoon after suffering mental torture after months of dealing with Triumphs warranty claims department.  Another is on a 24 hour watch in a mental institution,  and the other one has confirmed that he knows nowt about bikes and has bought a BMW.

I'm sure that all of them will make complete recoveries,  but only after accepting the fact that Japanese manufacturers are better at building motorbikes than anyone else. :whistle: :015:

Last Edit: Mar 25, 2022, 05:36 pm by 100milesaway
    What would you rather be, or a wasp?

• Offline Flying v2   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    287

Offline Flying v2

• Versys Pro
    • Careful now
    • Bike: V-strom defector
    • City / Town: Hednesford
    Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2022, 08:02 pm
    Mar 25, 2022, 08:02 pm
    If you needed regular medical treatment for example dialysis or kemo and your sole transport was a triumph motorcycle you be in the sh#t,  I had one and for the first time in 40 years and 40 motorcycles I at to have issues sorted by warranty claims.
    When you speak to them they have never heard of the issue/ problem and you are the first report the problem. On the owners forum there may be dozens of owners with the the same problem.
    Early triumphs were over engineered and built like battleships but at this period of time quality control is not good.
    I was told that Kawasaki showed triumph how to make bikes when they were reinvented. They desperately need a another visit to the Kawasaki factory. Should be just down road now as they both have manufactures in Thailand.
    I'm going out on my bike.

• Offline Wal   gb

• Versys Ultimate God  ‐    16979

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
    • City / Town: Durham
    Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2022, 08:06 pm
    Mar 25, 2022, 08:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
    Three of my mates bought Triumphs. After many warranty claims, and in two cases months without bikes. One of the lads is now a gibbering buffoon after suffering mental torture after months of dealing with Triumphs warranty claims department.  Another is on a 24 hour watch in a mental institution,  and the other one has confirmed that he knows nowt about bikes and has bought a BMW.

I'm sure that all of them will make complete recoveries,  but only after accepting the fact that Japanese manufacturers are better at building motorbikes than anyone else. :whistle: :015:

mostly true.....the problems i had with my Triumph were exactly what i had feared, i think Triumph just havnt had the developement time the Japanese have had, and in my book the Japanese are the best engineers

what Flying V is saying is exactly what Triumph said to me, there is no problem, yet many others on the forum had the exact same problem, then they tried to say it was rider error, they are just not trustworthy

• Online Stewie   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    7763

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
    • Strong adherent to the number 4
    • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
    • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
    Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2022, 08:44 pm
    Mar 25, 2022, 08:44 pm
    I have had two problems with my Rocket and they accepted then straight away.
    No arguments.
    Got the bike, fixed the problem, gave it back.

The biggie that sidelined it for last years NVM was a wiring loom problem and it took a while to sort but they did a proper job and fixed it.
    Other issue is a soft rear brake which is a known issue and no arguments to fix it.

So while they do have issues it seems that they are turning the customer service problems round.

I went out for a few hours today and I still think it is the MOST marvellous creation ever.

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    885

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Support Your NHS
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
    Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2022, 05:54 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 05:54 pm
    I'm a whole 500 miles down ... no problems so far!  :celebrate:

All I hear is blah, blah, blah ... jealousy  :4:

I had two warranty claims in the three years I had the V650 grabby clutch cable, sorted at point of service, no problem. The ignition barrel suddenly developed a problem where the key would jump out of the ON position  :5: caused the bike to suddenly cut out twice, once noticed by me the problem was rectified but it took a week, after had to change ALL the lock barrels and explaining it was the GT model had to change locks on luggage too!
    Must admit there was never any quibbles from Kawasaki, but I don't anticipate any with Triumph either.

TTBG rules!!  :37:
    A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

• Online 100milesaway   gb

• Versys God  ‐    2284

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
    • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
    • City / Town: Leyburn
    Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2022, 04:23 pm
    Mar 30, 2022, 04:23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
    I'm a whole 500 miles down ... no problems so far!  :celebrate:

All I hear is blah, blah, blah ... jealousy  :4:

I had two warranty claims in the three years I had the V650 grabby clutch cable, sorted at point of service, no problem. The ignition barrel suddenly developed a problem where the key would jump out of the ON position  :5: caused the bike to suddenly cut out twice, once noticed by me the problem was rectified but it took a week, after had to change ALL the lock barrels and explaining it was the GT model had to change locks on luggage too!
    Must admit there was never any quibbles from Kawasaki, but I don't anticipate any with Triumph either.

TTBG rules!!  :37:
    No, you wont have a problem getting it fixed if it gives problems whilst under warranty.

Triumph have copied BMWs mantra, ie fall over yourself to fix bikes that go wrong, and don't quibble. This makes people feel good about the brand.  But still lots more issue's than they should have.

Japanese manufacturers are more interested in getting the product right first time,  and not having to bother with after sales issues.

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

allergic