Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Getting horny  (Read 679 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Getting horny
« on: Apr 21, 2022, 12:20 PM »
 Hi all,

Just bought the Denali SondBomb mini and looking at where to fit it.

I bought the mini as it seems the least faff to fit and I can run off the existing horn wires. As such it's 'plug n play'.
My concern is that if I mount it in same place it's exposed to the elements, will the risk of road crap and water getting in opening affect it?
(Fitting on my Tiger, not V but it's pretty much similar location)

Never used an aftermarket horn before so I don't know what the rules are regards fitting.

I'm also considering fitting it next to the OEM horn and splicing off the wiring so I can have both working at same time. In effect creating a two tone horn, without the expense. Think I remember reading somewhere else that it's possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam  :763:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Online NI-Jay

• Versys Master
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
Re: Getting horny
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2022, 05:43 PM »
As long as it’s not submerged in water it will work fine in the stock location. Angle it to the side so the opening isn’t facing forwards.
Two tone idea will draw too much current and most likely blow a fuse.
A stronger fuse and you might melt wires. The sound bomb is plenty loud.

Rules?

Good luck and enjoy scaring the crap out of people with something other than an exhaust
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!
V650 GT 2018 (2018 - 2020)
V1K SE GT 2020 (2020 - Present)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2022, 04:46 PM »
:763: Jay

Uncharacteristically good advice  :152:.

I've now finally gotten around to fitting the SoundBomb Mini.

It was more difficult than I would have liked, or maybe I just made it more complicated, either way it's now done.

I followed the advice given and decided not to try piggy backing off the OEM horn, just fitted the new one instead.

I used the OEM bracket which is no more than lets say a flimsy piece of metal, barely stronger than tin!

I first tried to use both brackets supplied but it then angled out too far and was not only obvious and ugly, but closer to the front wheel than I was comfortable with. This would have made it prone to crap and all sorts being flicked up from the road even more so than it already is!

First Attempt:

Finally I used the OEM bracket and one of the so called bracket supplied.

Second attempt:

Not the prettiest install, but it's better than before.

The problem is the Evotech Rad guard, extends a bit further than the bottom of the rad, for obvious reasons, but it restricts the available space for the OEM horn and the new one is even bigger so it needs to hand lower. That and the OE wiring is ridiculously short with no excess to pull through. Therefore, this was the best I could position it. The instructions say the horn should be facing down, so I tried my best to but again the space and lack of wiring meant it can't.

The bracket and back of horn covered in a tonne on Rust Blocker, to give it the best chance of surviving at least one season. I might use the second piece of metal to re-enforce the first and that way make it somewhere close to substantial, but otherwise this is it.

I am pleased with the horn itself and the noise it makes is far better than the original. Louder but not too much so, the biggest difference is it now sounds like a proper car one, rather than like a mouse farting through a straw!  :008:

Overall I'm happy and just need to use it in anger... sorry, as an audible warning device towards other road users, I mean  :034:

Cheers,

Adam.

Online NI-Jay

• Versys Master
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2022, 10:42 PM »
Oh you’ll use it in anger alright…

:125: :125: Should have stayed with the V650!!!

:008: :008:
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!
V650 GT 2018 (2018 - 2020)
V1K SE GT 2020 (2020 - Present)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 12:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by NI-Jay [+]

:125: :125: Should have stayed with the V650!!!

LOL Say's the guy with a V1k!  :008:

Triumph Traitors group is going well thank you!  :mfr_lol: