Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Aux power - check before you drill the hole 🤧  (Read 675 times)

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
Aux power - check before you drill the hole 🤧
« on: Apr 22, 2022, 06:03 PM »
 No, not that bad :)
I bought a USB charger type socket with built in voltage meter about a year ago and never got around to fitting it until this week.
Checked, double checked and braced myself for the worst and drilled the 30mm hole in the dash. Turned out to be a good guess for the positioning  :001:
So proceeded to run the main feed to the battery and a relay to be on the safe side, and spliced into the horn feed for the ignition 12v. Connected up, looking good.
Then start the bike .... little voltmeter zooms up to 15.8V and starts flashing like an exhibitionist on columbian marching powder  :5:
First thought is that the reg/rec is fried and reached for the multimeter in the toolbox.
Woohoo! panic over, turns out the usb voltmeter seems to be set up for Chinese volts which are obviously different from ours. Only problem now is I have a 30mm hole in my dash. Luckily the various Chinese factories all think that 30mm is a suitable sized hole for all the usb chargers so I ordered a few from Amazon to spread my luck.
So three days later I finally finished and it works, for now anyway.

Moral of the tale, test your cheap electrical thingies work before you drill the hole. :124:

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: Aux power - check before you drill the hole 🤧
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2022, 02:49 AM »
I have the same one with dual qc3 on my Rocket.
Handy piece of kit.

I had to drill an aluminium housing with a very tight clearance to fit mine so my anxiety levels were high but it all worked out.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2022, 06:23 AM »
Try it without the unnecessary relay.

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2022, 10:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Try it without the unnecessary relay.

Relay is there should I ever want to add stuff. If you are maybe suggesting the relayed voltage was somehow affecting the dodgy readout of charger number one, then the answer is no. Both a multimeter and the second (and third) charger all show the same (correct) voltage, with or without the relay, it's just the first one that read too high and flipped out.  :028:

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 07:18 AM »
The Chinese on i have on my bike is also wrong by about .3V