Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Older rider new ride  (Read 337 times)

Offline Steve698

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2015
  • City / Town: Haverhill
Older rider new ride
« on: May 19, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Hi All,
I'm Steve
Returned to riding a couple of years ago after a long lay off and have been having trouble finding the right bike. I'm getting on a bit nearly 60 (but not quite) and have an issue with the hips, they are tight all the time but after 30/40 mins riding they cramp up when I take feet off the pegs at lights/crossing/junctions etc. So far have tried the Vulcan - too much pressure on lower back and didn't like the forward controls, NC750X dct - occasional hip pain but just found the bike too beige and bland, MT 03 321cc - really nice ride, no hip issues but just felt too small, Rebel 500 - Lovely easy bike to ride, surprisingly nimble but so cramped in the lower body/leg area, painful after 20 mins and the most uncomfortable of the lot. I rode a Transalp many years ago as a courier in Central London and could ride that for 10 hours a day and was always comfy (apart from numb bum), admittedly I was 30 years younger but loved that bike. Now looking at the Versys 650 and the Tracer 700. Got an option of a 2015 Versys in immaculate condition, dealer will do full service, new rear tyre and new chain and sprockets only niggle I have is it's only part service history, last 3 stamped in the book but no paperwork to see what work was done. I have researched and it seems the Versys needs a valve check at 15K and 30K. This bike has 25K on clock, so if the valves were done at 15K (no paperwork so don't know for sure, but done at dealership so should have been) It is now only 5K from needing the second check. if done at garage it's about 430 or I did valve clearances on NC myself, had to remove front wheel, brakes, forks (was changing oil anyway), rad but the adjustment was just a nut/bolt affair, seems a little more involved on the Versys with shims. I prefer the Gen 3, is there a huge difference between the Gen2 and 3. Personally I like the styling better on the 3 and adjustable suspension, is 25K to much mileage ? So would you pull the trigger or look elsewhere ?
Blimey that was a long Hello, I'll get me coat.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Older rider new ride
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:38 AM »
If it was me, i would service it my self, oil, filter, plugs, brakes etc , pull all the body work off and get the shims done by my mechanic. Many do their own but its not something i would do. they will be tight if not done.
Think your choice will come down to the deal you can get, personally i wouldn't worry too much about a service history on a bike of that mileage.

Mk2 or mk 3,  the 3 will have a tad better suspension, but anecdotally the engine will not seem  to have as much grunt

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 05:36 AM »
Hello Steve,
I think that Clunkyboy is right, although I miss my Mk2 .
What sort of mileage did you clock up on the Transalp?
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Steve698

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2015
  • City / Town: Haverhill
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 05:37 PM »
I really don't remember the mileage, I was in my 20's had other things on my mind then and never did any servicing either, just threw me leg over it every morning and rode for 10 hours a day, never let me down once.
Pulled the trigger on the Versys this morning. Thought I'd do a bit of detective work as the last 3 stamps are from the same garage I'll track them down and see what info I can get. The dealer is going to service it, new rear tyre and change the chain and sprockets it's in really good condition so looks like it's been looked after well. The mileage won't worry me too much I only ride for the fun of it, do less than 2k a year.