Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Twin USB and Gear indicator  (Read 323 times)

Offline Steve698

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2015
  • City / Town: Haverhill
Twin USB and Gear indicator
« on: May 23, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Hi All,
Am getting my new (to me) Versys 650 2015 the weekend and want fit a gear indicator and twin usb port, From what I understand the usb goes to the provided hole in dash on the left and indicator to the right. Seen vids online stating everything is there behind the dash to wire into but also seen others that say they only work with Kawasaki OEM parts, at 120 for the indicator that's not happening. Seen others say there is another port under the seat that aftermarket indicators work from, which is true ? Also with the usb port will that work from the wires provided behind the dash and does it need a relay, like this.

[/img]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:03 PM by Steve698 »

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Re: Twin USB and Gear indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 09:18 AM »
It does not need a relay, can't help with positioning on the 2015 MK3 I had the Mk2

Offline Steve698

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 09:35 AM »
So it can just be plugged straight into the wiring behind the dash, why has every one I've seen for the Versys got the relay included ?

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Like I said I fitted a twin USB port to my Mk2 so I don't know if it's the same as the Mk3. I did not use a relay it simply doesn't draw enough current to warrant a relay. Your model may be different Maybe the Mk 3 needs the relay to complete the circuit?

Edit: Just reread my previous post sorry if I mislead you I wasn't very clear my 2012 model did not need the relay and electrically speaking neither does yours however perhaps Kawasaki fitted wiring which needs a relay to complete the circuit and therefore provide power to the accessory wiring. I'm sure someone who has fitted the USB port to the Mk3 will comment soon.
Just ignore me  :11:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:44 AM by Maverick »

Offline Steve698

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 10:43 AM »
Yep that is exactly what I'm after and in that position, and you just plugged it straight in to the supplied wiring behind the dash, curious about the relay then.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 10:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Steve698 [+]
Yep that is exactly what I'm after and in that position, and you just plugged it straight in to the supplied wiring behind the dash, curious about the relay then.

Sorry I was editing my post while you typed.

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 11:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Steve698 [+]
It depends on the spec of the Mk3 you have purchased whether or not the relay has been fitted. It is required to power the connectors under the left side of the tank for heated grips etc. and for the connector behind the clocks powering the Kawasaki gear indicator. (relay is not required for the gear indicator which connects under the seat afaik.) For the USB, it really depends on where you intend to get the power supply from. I chose the Kawasaki gear indicator so added the relay and then USB at a later date so I am not sure if the relay also provides power to the "spare" bullet connectors up behind the clocks which I used for the USB. The relay is about 10, and the connector is taped up on the loom not hanging loose.

Offline Steve698

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 11:55 AM »
OK thanks everyone for you replies you have given me a good idea of where to start, I'll get the multimeter fired up when I get the bike pretty sure I can get it going one way or another. Think I'll get the relay for the sake of 11 and hopefully that will get everything working behind the dash.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:59 AM by Steve698 »