Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Power distribution boxes  (Read 427 times)

Offline wasOrange

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 08' Versys 650
Power distribution boxes
« on: May 24, 2022, 10:26 AM »
Looking for a power distribution solution to power a couple of accessories on my MK1. I've narrowed the options down to the below. I know there are offerings from Denali and Rowe and a few others, but they're out of my budget.

Has anyone had experience with Marks Motorcycle Parts 5 Way Switched Fused Power Outlet ?

A Fuzeblock FZ-1 is probably my first choice if money was not a factor. But the Fuzeblock + wiring harness adds up to 114. After investing in a crimping tool I could probably put together the harness for about 20 with bits from ebay but won't be as good quality and a lot more of a faf!

Then there's the Healtech Thunderbox option that would also do everything I needed. However, I couldn't take advantage of the clever automatic mode that detects when the bike is on and would have to run it in Ignition-controlled mode to allow me to throw on the battery tender without too much fiddling. It also provides connection for only 4 accessories compared to 5 for Marks effort and 6 on the Fuzeblock. That last point's not a big issue, as I currently only have plans for 2; heated grips and a voltmeter/USB socket, but future-proofing is always on my mind.

I've also just discovered the Innovv PowerHubs but that parasitic drain annoys me, even though I do generally keep the bike on a charger when not in use.

So looking to get some opinions and experiences. What do you think? What have you used? What would you recommend?

Could have built one from raw minerals in the time it took to put this table together!

DIY
No. of Accessories
U01: 4
U02: 8
As many as you want
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Switch trigger
Any of the 6 can be set to switched or unswitched
Auto-On: Detects when engine is running and switches on after delay
Ignition-Controlled: ignition on = power on after delay
Stay-Off: Always off(for longer term storage)
All Ignition switched only
All ignition switched only
Whatever you want
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Delay
None
On/Off: ~5 secs
None
On/Off: ~10 secs
Don't know how to do it. So none
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Price
U01: 60
U02: ~80
3: 70
2: 50
Fuse box: 15
Relay: 5
Wires: 10
Connectors: 5
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Wiring included (Red, Black, Trigger)
No (Nippy Norman add on for 35)
Yes (No idividual accessory fuse holder)
No
Yes (with individual accessory fuse holder )
Yes
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Negatives
Expensive.
Wiring harness double expensive.
Not as small as Innovv and Healtech
Can't use Auto-On with battery tender.
Fewer outputs.
Need to add inline fuse holders or a short on 1 accessory would take them all out.
Fixed Amp outputs (4x5A and 1x1A). But what accessory needs more than 5amps?
Parasitic drain: <10uA.
Max output getting worse with each version?
PH1 = 40A
PH2 = 20A
PH3 = 15A
Time consuming.
Ugly!

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour

Offline wasOrange

• Versys Member
Re: Power distribution boxes
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 12:50 PM »
Cheers Maverick, that's a decent write up. Will take it as a vote for the DIY option

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 09:49 PM »
On my Mk1 2009 V650, I have a FZ1 installed under the LH Fairing mounted to the tank with some 3M Dual Lock Self-Adhesive Velcro
Yes it is good as I have powered and switched supplies but it feel delicate

On my Mk2 2015 V1k I did a DIY 4 way fuse block / 40A relay controlled setup and got all the parts from  this place - www.12voltplanet.co.uk/
Easily expandable - as I have upgraded to a 12 way fuse block, and more rugged.

my 2d
Richard    :001: 

PS -

Offline wasOrange

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:14 AM »
Sounds like DIY is the way to go. Thanks for the link TM!

Online Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 12:25 PM »
Buy  a relay for a couple of quid, get it switched off the back light, run a big cable to battery and earth  and fit all that under the sseat easily, then run a decent sized wire up to the front of the bike connect your acessories to that. I haven;t put my realy in a bxo since 2008 and never been an issue, bit of dialectric grease if your bothered
Simples  , relay, bit of cable, a few bullet connectors and a crimping tool always comes in handy,  Toolstation sell one for a 5 , good enough for DIY. and or scotch inline caonnectors if you want. maybe a few velcro ties to keep things neat. You can just add amend as required.

I have upgraded horn, top box tail light,12v cigar lighter ( 2off ebay)  for USB  hidden up behind one of the sidd e fairing wrapped in self amalgamating tape, spot lights, temp guage.
led turn indicator and bleeper

Sure someone would look at it and say cowboy prob be right, but my farmyard engineering stands the test of time

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2