Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 52K miles  (Read 320 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
52K miles
« on: Jun 05, 2022, 05:21 PM »
I just replaced the front brake pads on the Mk1 for the first time at 52K miles.  They weren't down to the metal, but I am going to meet Rob later in the month (yes, he is out of bread, again...   :015:) on what is probably going to be a ~3K mile trip, so I decided it would be better to start with fresh set of pads.  I got a set of EBC HH pads (FA229HH and FA231HH for left and right respectively).  I was surprised they were smooth and didn't have grooves, but then I went back to the site and sure enough they show pictures of pads with no grooves.  52K miles also added up to a lot of brake dust caked on the calipers and pistons, so judicious use of brake cleaner, a toothbrush (no, not the one I actually use to brush my teeth...  :138:) and a rag got the calipers looking like new again and ready to accept those new pads.

Now I have to keep the bike another 52K miles to see if these last as long as the OEM Tokicos...    :008:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: 52K miles
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2022, 06:58 PM »
i was always amazed at the longevity of the oem pads, considering they work pretty well too

hope you used the wife's toothbrush.......i always did....(right up to the divorce)  :notsure:

make sure Rob gets 2 pints of milk this time, he's never away from the shops...any excuse for a ride.... :whistle:

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Wal, I always appreciate your advice, but I don't want my wife to divorce me.  I swear it was not her toothbrush either...   :whistle:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Ultimate God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2022, 10:17 PM »

3K miles, you say  :033: ... I'll have to consult with the cat. Maybe the thought of 2 pints of milk will sweeten him  :notsure: .

I'll be looking forward to the ride report, Gustavo  :007:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.