Author 2022 IVM (Rob's out of bread. Again...)  (Read 4978 times)

• Offline Stewie   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    7763

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
    • Strong adherent to the number 4
    • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
    • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
    Re: 2022 IVM (Rob's out of bread. Again...)
    Reply #70 on: Jun 21, 2022, 11:43 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 11:43 pm
    *Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
    Remember the best part about going home is yet to crumb 🤣

At his age I am sure it would be a less enjoyable ride than a mk1 V and just as unattractive to look at.

• Offline uralrob   ca

• Versys Ultimate God  ‐    10782

Offline uralrob

• Versys Ultimate God
    • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
    • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
    Reply #71 on: Jun 22, 2022, 01:12 am
    Jun 22, 2022, 01:12 am

There are few more enjoyable rides than a Mk1 650, although for this particular trip I've been glad of the V1K ugly as it is,
    with it's barn door of a screen.

As previously mentioned, I'll do an opinion piece of the 650 versus the 1K as long haul rides when I get back.

As for riding the crumb, better it remain as a bun than a crumb(le).  :2:.

Richard, it's time we passed the hat around to get you re-chipped. W.D.is starting to sound positively subtle  :008: .

btw, where is W.D. these days? He usually pops up to raise the tone on a low class thread like this  :002: .

You're right, Gustavo. We did have some very good bread in Lewiston. Rolls, if I remember rightly.

Rob.
    Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

• Offline whiskydave   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    8414

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
    • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
    Reply #72 on: Jun 22, 2022, 11:30 am
    Jun 22, 2022, 11:30 am
    I'm still alive Rob. :001: Been following the thread but have been up to the Norwegian fjords on one of Stewies covid ridden big ships for a week.( It was just a little bit bigger than his Rocket) :015: I seem to have lost my mojo for the bike a little bit . Probably need to chuck the tent on the back and have a couple of days away.  :006:. Clunky, sorry to here about your brother. I lost my oldest brother to covid last year and it's still a little raw. Anyway Rob, keep searching for the bread and enjoy the rest of your trip.  :028:

• Offline uralrob   ca

• Versys Ultimate God  ‐    10782

Offline uralrob

• Versys Ultimate God
    • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
    • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
    Reply #73 on: Jun 22, 2022, 02:19 pm
    Jun 22, 2022, 02:19 pm

Good to hear from you, Dave, but sorry to hear that things are a bit shaky for you at the moment.

The Norwegian fjords, I always wanted to see them. Hope you had decent weather.

:028:

Rob.
    Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

• Offline Stewie   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    7763

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
    • Strong adherent to the number 4
    • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
    • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
    Reply #74 on: Jun 22, 2022, 03:57 pm
    Jun 22, 2022, 03:57 pm
    If you want the Fjords cruise experience find quite a tall cliff. Put a bucket filled with water under it.
    Stand in the bucket and stare at the exact same thing for 3 days.
    Say ooh and aah occasionally and pretend the the cliff next to some water is somehow different from the one you were looking at before, even though it isn't.

If you want the real world traveller experience do the exact same thing but pretend the cliffs next to some water are in New Zealand and somehow totally different from the ones in Norway. Even though they are exactly the same thing.

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
    Reply #75 on: Jun 22, 2022, 05:58 pm
    Jun 22, 2022, 05:58 pm
    Surely you are the font of all knowledge.🤩

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
    Reply #76 on: Jun 22, 2022, 06:04 pm
    Jun 22, 2022, 06:04 pm
    *Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Good to hear from you, Dave, but sorry to hear that things are a bit shaky for you at the moment.

The Norwegian fjords, I always wanted to see them. Hope you had decent weather.

:028:

Rob.
    Sorry to come across as a bit grumpy Rob.😅.I'm OK really. All the better for hearing from my Canadian mentor and idol. 🤣🤣🤣

• Offline Gustavo   us

• Hardcore Member
    • Versys Mega God  ‐    7178
    • Topic Author

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
    • Versys Mega God
    • Topic Author
    • Wanna be moto magazine writer
    • Bike: Classic Red
    Reply #77 on: Jun 24, 2022, 05:47 pm
    Jun 24, 2022, 05:47 pm
    Last day of my trip.  Had breakfast with Rob at the hotel, where we found out that one of the Harleys that was parked outside had it's top case broken into and some gear that was strapped to the seat stolen.  What is this country coming to?   :125:  These guys were from the LA area in California, so they still had a long trip ahead of them.

Anyway, after much kissing and hugging  :36:, it was time to say goodbye to my young trip companion and head west.

It was a cloudy day, but warm enough that I was tempted to ditch the heated gear.  I figured I'd start with it on, but not electrically on, and see how that goes.  As soon as I got out of Walla Walla and up on the hills, it was clear that it's not going to be that warm today.  Not yet anyway.

The Blue Mountains framing the valley:

Made good time to Pendelton, where it was getting warmer again.  My father used to love his Pendelton wool clothing:

This is cowboy country, so the Pendelton Round-Up is a big deal:

Once south of Pendelton, the scenery changes completely.  This is high desert country, a lot more sage brush and shorter grasses pastures than agricultural fields.  And really cool canyons for the roads to follow...   :biker1:

The sun was peaking between those clouds, but the wind had picked up significantly, so it was actually cooler than earlier in the day.  Also, those wind gusts were strong enough that you had to keep them in mind when cornering,  As you move around the canyons, the wind hit you at a different angle and moved the bike in different direction.   :33:

And it was a long way down in many of them, so going off the road is not an option:

It seems like these roads have been redone but not completed.  Not the lack of any shoulder markings.  It seems like a small detail, but when you are on the outside lane and the drops are that long, it really makes you wonder where the road ends and how far can you go before you run out of pavement...

Went by Heppner, Morrow County Seat, so it has some interesting (few) older buildings, like the courthouse:

You need to understand that this is a town where the biggest buildings are no more than 2 stories high, most are a single story (no shortage of space here), so this courthouse, especially on that hill, looks very imposing and impressive.  That was probably the idea behind putting it there... 

Old style department store - pharmacy, bookstore, restaurant, etc. Anything you need, they sell it:

Back in the high desert on the way to Condon:

Different road, still no shoulder line:

One of my favorite sections of OR-206 on the way to Condon:

Condon is a nice little town, not much in it, but it does have one decent restaurant and a gas station.  Ran into a couple of Floridians running an R12GS and Norge (you don't see those every day) on their way to the Olympic Peninsula.  Once out of Condon, you go back up to the plateau before dropping into the Cottonwood canyon.  The clouds started to clear a little, you could finally see the Cascade peaks:

Mt Hood (just above left of that truck) is about 70 miles away:

A bit of a closeup:

Did I mention it was windy?  They don't have miles and miles of these for nothing.  Hope it didn't give me brain cancer...   :whistle:

Meandered my way across the dryside, around Mt Hood and down to Portland.  I got on I-84, which is supposedly the fast way across town, and ran into a huge traffic jam.  Luckily, just before the last bailout option at 181 st Ave.  If I had to guess, I was looking at a 15 mile long jam, and remember, there is no filtering allowed here, so you have to stand in traffic with all those cars.  I bailed on 181st, took the scenic route on Marine Drive, and avoided all that mess.  Was it faster?  I will never know, but it was certainly more enjoyable...   :biker1: :biker1:

A very good and enjoyable ride.  :biker1:   Thanks Rob for coming to visit and eating my bread.  It was a pleasure breaking bread with you.   :031:

Gustavo

• Offline Gustavo   us

• Hardcore Member
    • Versys Mega God  ‐    7178
    • Topic Author

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
    • Versys Mega God
    • Topic Author
    • Wanna be moto magazine writer
    • Bike: Classic Red
    Reply #78 on: Jun 24, 2022, 05:50 pm
    Jun 24, 2022, 05:50 pm
    Monday's map:

https://goo.gl/maps/L79KeBE7qc6DHW6JA

I know I am biased, but I love riding in the PNWet...   :biker1: :biker1: :biker1:

Gustavo

• Offline Clunkyboy   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    9766

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
    • Scratchin Bros Rider
    Reply #79 on: Jun 24, 2022, 08:59 pm
    Jun 24, 2022, 08:59 pm
    Epic and throroughly enjoyable guys well jell as the kids say.

thanks for taking the time and trouble to get all onto the forum  :123A: :123A: :123A:
    MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2