Author Chain oilers ... Discuss  (Read 748 times)

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    885
    • Topic Author

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Topic Author
    • Support Your NHS
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
    Chain oilers ... Discuss
    on: Jun 30, 2022, 03:32 pm
    Jun 30, 2022, 03:32 pm
    Hi all,

Being the lazy git that I am, I have decided to start looking into chain oilers.

Never had one before and have no experience with them.

Obviously Scottoiler is the household name and I thought that was it. However, research has led me to discover there's loads out there.

Staying away from anything off AliExpress and Amazon, I'm interested in what you guys experience's are.

I've narrowed it down to the Scottoiler V system or the current front runner is Tutoro one. I like the idea of it just working away and I don't have to do anything!

The Cobrra and Loobman were in the running but I will forget to use it until it's too late!

What's your experience, do they actually work? The tutoru seems almost too good to be true and I'm not sure about cutting into the vacuum system on the bike if Scottoiler is going to be naff!

Cheers everyone
    A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

• Offline Maverick   au

• Versys God  ‐    1324

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
    • Bike: Not enough space
    • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
    Re: Chain oilers ... Discuss
    Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2022, 09:46 am
    Jul 01, 2022, 09:46 am
    1st up I've never used one so I am just going off reports I've read and my own experience with NOT having one.

I have read plenty of reports from people happy with them but also read reports of people using them and having premature chain failures. My own experience having owned many chain drive bikes I have got it down to a minimal time frame with lubricating and cleaning chains.

1. Approx 500 - 600 km I lube the chain on the inside links with Motul Factory Line, leave it for 10 mins then wipe off any excess.

2. Every 3000 - 4000 km or more often if the chain is grotty or gritty (inspect when lubricating) I clean the chain with chain cleaner. I spray it 2 or 3 times until it no longer drips black using the chain brush if needed. Once clean I lube.

3. When cleaning the chain check the slack and adjust if necessary.

Using this method I almost never get any fling and therefore cleaning is also cut to a minimum. If the rear wheel needs more cleaning than a sponge and wash I spray a little degreaser onto a rag and clean the wheel with the rag and then wash normally. With my Z900 I have only had to do that twice in 5000 km and that was mainly tar off the road rather than fling off the chain.   

Hope this helps

• Offline Wal   gb

• Versys Ultimate God  ‐    16979

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
    • City / Town: Durham
    Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2022, 06:46 pm
    Jul 01, 2022, 06:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
    1st up I've never used one so I am just going off reports I've read and my own experience with NOT having one.

I have read plenty of reports from people happy with them but also read reports of people using them and having premature chain failures. My own experience having owned many chain drive bikes I have got it down to a minimal time frame with lubricating and cleaning chains.

1. Approx 500 - 600 km I lube the chain on the inside links with Motul Factory Line, leave it for 10 mins then wipe off any excess.

2. Every 3000 - 4000 km or more often if the chain is grotty or gritty (inspect when lubricating) I clean the chain with chain cleaner. I spray it 2 or 3 times until it no longer drips black using the chain brush if needed. Once clean I lube.

3. When cleaning the chain check the slack and adjust if necessary.

Using this method I almost never get any fling and therefore cleaning is also cut to a minimum. If the rear wheel needs more cleaning than a sponge and wash I spray a little degreaser onto a rag and clean the wheel with the rag and then wash normally. With my Z900 I have only had to do that twice in 5000 km and that was mainly tar off the road rather than fling off the chain.   

Hope this helps

:028: very similar to my procedure, i use Castrol chain lube

• Offline Wassy   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    64

Offline Wassy

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: Versys 650GT
    • City / Town: Southampton
    Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2022, 06:53 am
    Jul 02, 2022, 06:53 am
    I have a scottoiler V system, it came with the bike when I bought it used, so I have no idea how easy/difficult installation is.

It was my first bike too. So I canít compare how easy it is compared to traditional lubing methods.

However I like it, the bike is used all year round to commute Iíve used 1.5l  in 24,000 miles of riding. Easy to refill and prime if it runs dry and gets air in the system. The rim can get a little dirty and the number plate gets some crud on the rear of the number plate. Iíve never had anything on the tyre.

The system help the OEM chain last 15,000 miles before links seized and the DID VX-3 I replaced it with is on 18,000 miles with lots of life in it.

• Offline jdoyle   ie

• Versys Pro  ‐    302

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
    • City / Town: Wicklow
    Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2022, 08:00 am
    Jul 02, 2022, 08:00 am
    Would not mind a chain oiler myself
    If funds allowed  & I were to get one I would like something like scotoiler that only runs when the bike is running

At the moment im using EP 90 gear oil every 500 or so km

I have about 6 cans of GT 85 that I get in Aldi when it is in 
    Put the bike on the paddock stand clean the chain with some GT85 clean that off with a rag then use a small paint brush to coat it in gear oil and take the excess off with paper towels

I have a big piece of cardboard that I then put under the bike and run the engine put it in gear to sling off the excess
    and finally clean off any oil that gets on the tyre and wheel

i also have the DID VX-3 chain and not impressed couple of stiff links already and i have only put about 2000 km on since installing it and chain has been cleaned and oiled at least 5 times
    only reason i can think of is that Im lazy and often labour the bike in wrong gear instead of shifting
    But this bike has tons of low down power and grunt that it will take off in any gear so maybe thats what is killing the chain

Last Edit: Jul 02, 2022, 08:06 am by jdoyle

• Offline Clunkyboy   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    9766

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
    • Scratchin Bros Rider
    Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2022, 02:34 pm
    Jul 02, 2022, 02:34 pm
    I just spray Rockoil or catrol lube on what  what i can see every couple hundred miles or so then if I have nothing better to do , spray some in a small tub and do the whole chain inside outside top and bottom with a toothbrush. When it all looks a mess then I clean it wiith WD40. works for me, chains last 10-15000 miles . I actually had a Scotoiler on the bike when i got it but was taking up space under the seat so just dumped it.

there is a very simple gravity system i have seen peeps use, just tunr on for a few miles and turn off again, caant remeber the name , soz
    MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Topic Author
    • Support Your NHS
    Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2022, 05:26 pm
    Jul 02, 2022, 05:26 pm
    Shame you don't still have it Clunky, I'd be interested in a second hand one to try.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Think I'm going to try the TuToRo one when I get around to it.

• Offline jdoyle   ie

• Versys Pro  ‐    302

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
    • City / Town: Wicklow
    Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2022, 08:08 am
    Jul 03, 2022, 08:08 am
    *Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
    there is a very simple gravity system i have seen peeps use, just tunr on for a few miles and turn off again, caant remeber the name , soz

May have been something similar to this
    But when you get old and forget to turn it off you could end up with little puddles of oil all over the place :-)
    If I were to go for one I would want something that only works ( Vacuum Or Electric ) when the bike is running 

Last Edit: Jul 03, 2022, 08:10 am by jdoyle

• Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro  ‐    119

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: V650 Mk3
    • City / Town: Wallasey
    Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2022, 11:24 am
    Jul 03, 2022, 11:24 am
    Had the Scottoiler V-System fitted but the plastic T piece that breaks into the vacuum line eventually split the tube leading to intermittent running and cutting out so opted for the E-System instead and have never looked back. Just links to the battery and either manual or auto on/off.  :002:

• Offline Shandy   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
    • Topic Author
    • Support Your NHS
    Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2022, 02:07 pm
    Jul 04, 2022, 02:07 pm
    *Originally Posted by Catsick [+]
    Had the Scottoiler V-System fitted but the plastic T piece that breaks into the vacuum line eventually split the tube leading to intermittent running and cutting out so opted for the E-System instead and have never looked back. Just links to the battery and either manual or auto on/off.  :002:

Thanks, that's grate advice, ruled out the Vsystem and I'll look at the Esystem instead  :152:

allergic