Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: The perfect stand for the V  (Read 16258 times)

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: The perfect stand for the V
« Reply #50 on: Jun 28, 2018, 03:44 PM »
I don't know about that.
I have seen his welding before and I wouldn't trust my bike on something he made, it would be safer back in the ditch.

Offline Lord Muck

• Versys God
  • Iíve got a plan...
  • Bike: 2019 CB1000r
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #51 on: Jun 28, 2018, 04:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by NightRider [+]
Looking forward to the photos! Any day when you can save cash and make something on your own is a good day!  :008:

I decided that if I was going to build one I would only use what I have kicking about. A bit of a scrap heap challenge.
I will class it as ďThe Girl next doorĒ itís not a looker but my god does it do the job!  :008:

*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I don't know about that.
I have seen his welding before and I wouldn't trust my bike on something he made, it would be safer back in the ditch.

Mate you have a good point, I was nervous when I tested it, but there is so much weld on it I could probably hold one of your million dollar scrubbers, and Iím not talking about Rebecca  :007: :007:

"It's a mother beautiful bridge and it s gonna be there"

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #52 on: Jun 28, 2018, 04:51 PM »
 :008: :008: :008: :008:

Still not willing to test it!!

Offline NightRider

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Banja Luka
« Reply #53 on: Jun 28, 2018, 05:29 PM »
I don't know about that.
Haha  :008:
Well that's the reason I decided to modify the original design - to eliminate stresses on the welds.  :002:
Basically, what I did was transfer the load of the bike from welds on the guides for the central beam to 2 main vertical sections
(because the guides are no longer welded on sideways but cut into the main sections, and welds are just holding them in place).
And since the lean angle is only 10 degrees, it's enough to keep the stand stable but not enough to stress the welding on the 2 legs down below either.
So the main portion of the load is always on 2 main vertical sections and welds are there just to hold things together.  :7:

EDIT
As you can see from this schematic (that I made from the original one), almost all of the load is on 2 main vertical sections.
A small portion of the load is on the welding where 2 legs meet the main sections but that's about it.
I would comfortably put a bike 2 times heavier than Versys on my stand without any fear.  :002:

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2018, 05:49 PM by NightRider »

Offline Lord Muck

• Versys God
  • Iíve got a plan...
  • Bike: 2019 CB1000r
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #54 on: Jun 28, 2018, 06:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by NightRider [+]
Haha  :008:
Well that's the reason I decided to modify the original design - to eliminate stresses on the welds.  :002:
Basically, what I did was transfer the load of the bike from welds on the guides for the central beam to 2 main vertical sections
(because the guides are no longer welded on sideways but cut into the main sections, and welds are just holding them in place).
And since the lean angle is only 10 degrees, it's enough to keep the stand stable but not enough to stress the welding on the 2 legs down below either.
So the main portion of the load is always on 2 main vertical sections and welds are there just to hold things together.  :7:

EDIT
As you can see from this schematic (that I made from the original one), almost all of the load is on 2 main vertical sections.
A small portion of the load is on the welding where 2 legs meet the main sections but that's about it.
I would comfortably put a bike 2 times heavier than Versys on my stand without any fear.  :002:

I modified mine as well, instead of 40x40 box section I used an old scaffold pole, and what remains of an old gate post!  :008:
The rest is other crap I have hanging around... I tend never to throw stuff away so thereís is always something useful kicking about.
I still have a bit more to do, Iím also going to put the bar ďup on topĒ and have two height settings.

I will post photos when itís done.
"It's a mother beautiful bridge and it s gonna be there"

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #55 on: Jun 28, 2018, 07:44 PM »
really impressed, great technical solution  - simple cheap and effective.  Of course it is only simple once it has been done!
Tony

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #56 on: Jun 28, 2018, 08:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lord Muck [+]

The rest is other crap I have hanging around... I tend never to throw stuff away so thereís is always something useful kicking about.

I understand your wife follows a similar principle :whistle:

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #57 on: Jun 29, 2018, 01:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lord Muck [+]
Iíve just built one today, Iíll post photos when Iíve totally finished it but I can confirm itís works very well indeed and my welding skills are still shite!  :008:
Oh it also  looks very agricultural but it is very strong.
Iíve got a few bits to still do to it but for something thatís made totally from stuff I had lying about Iím really pleased with it...
We need pictures at all stages  - otherwise you did NOT build one  :211:
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018, 01:59 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #58 on: Jun 29, 2018, 04:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
We need pictures at all stages  - otherwise you did NOT build one  :211:

Apparently you spent 30 minutes in the USA most of the time spent eating breakfast.

Offline bgp

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Zagreb
« Reply #59 on: Jun 29, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Apparently you spent 30 minutes in the USA most of the time spent eating breakfast.

I just laughed very loud with nobody around.
Bikes: Original 2007 Versys and 2003 ZRX1200S