Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Paradise Dam Rd, Queensland, Australia  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Cazzie

• VERSYS GODDESS
  • Versys God
  • Bike: 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Toorbul
Paradise Dam Rd, Queensland, Australia
« on: Sep 06, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Since nobody outside Europe or the USA has posted any great riding roads, I'll start off:
Today Baz and I put his new Suzy through its paces on a bikers favourite in our neighbourhood: the Paradise Dam Road.
The Burnett River flows through part of central Queensland, passes through Bundaberg and then into the Pacific Ocean. At several small towns, including ours, weirs have been put in to provide drinking water to the people and irrigation water to horticultural growers (citrus, grapes, stonefruit, asparagus, smallcrops). A few years ago the State Government reckoned bigger is better and decided the locality of Paradise would be the perfect spot to flood! A massive dam was built and all workers and materials were shipped over on a nice newly bitumenised access road through hilly, scrubby, undulating country.
Now the dam is finished and the road's open to us ordinary folk!
It's only about 15 kms to the dam site, but an absolute bikie heaven with short sharp turns, nice countryside, to be shared with mostly other bikers and the odd 4WD towing a boat. What a joy to fly past as they're struggling with a 10 degree hillclimb with their  :172: diesel chuggers...
The destination is ok, a large expanse of water, maybe interesting for fishos  :027: , just a good place to turn around and do it all again!
Baz's Suzy handled the road brilliantly, no surprise that he scraped the pegs. I just sat on the back and looked pretty....  :whistle: (but loving it  :celebrate: ) Didn't have the V with me at the time (long story) but it will be next time for sure!
Next weekend we're off to another type of bikie heaven: an isolated country pub with cheap beds, good food, cold beer and no cops. Staying overnight with some friends-with-bikes. Can't wait........

Offline justanotherider

• Versys God
  • Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Re: Paradise Dam Rd, Queensland, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008, 03:13 AM »
Cazzie:

It's been long while since I last rode in Oz, and it's likely to be a while before I do it again; but I appreciate your disclosure and description of what sounds like a great little ride.

I think if you prowl around the site, there may be a refence to a road in southern BC, which isn't far from the USA; but is definitely still in Canada!   :002:  If you ever decide to give the route a rip, do let us know, so we can join you.

justanotherider
When life throws you a curve, lean into it...

Offline Cazzie

• VERSYS GODDESS
  • Versys God
  • Bike: 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Toorbul
Re: Paradise Dam Rd, Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Thanks so much for your comments, jar.
I sure would love to visit Canada! Too many places to see, so little time.....
We sat down this arvo with a map of Queensland (about the size of a third of Europe.....) and marked the places we wanted to visit on our bikes.  :015:  My boss will get a shock tomorrow when I put in my request for leave forms!
When did you visit Australia and where did you go?