Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: The best "Bikers only" places to stay when touring around Europe.  (Read 12603 times)

Offline stev1der

• Non-Active
  • Versys God
*Originally Posted by mickel45 [+]
Living in France, I have never had a problem with cards either British or French. But a lot of machines will only accept debit rather than credit cards. It usually pays to use one of the supermarkets rather than a local garage. They are usually 6-8 pence cheaper and also because of french planning laws they are on the outskirts of towns and within 2 or 3k of of major road exits. So if you are tracking with gps look for somewhere without a fuel company name.

As far as security goes, the amount of bike thefts, other than in the very large cities, is way below the UK. If they are going to nick anything it will be a moped, because it is a lot easier.

Also for someone on their first overseas trip, french bikers are a much friendlier type, very much like it was in uk 40 years ago. They will always wave when they are coming from the opposite direction, and will thank you when they overtake.

On my last journey round Euroland, Halifax Mastercard was accepted at all the supermarket, and back street "self service" pumps.

My mate had a Visa debit, and struggled...  Unfortunately i didnt get much chance to try my debit card out  :034:

Steve.

Offline black mule

• Versys Newbie
een goed adres bikmotel oude pekela
in holland in het noorden.
en bikerhome our ouzatta marokko

Offline Tonny

• Versys God
  • Vordingborg Denmark
*Originally Posted by black mule [+]

If you use english somebody might understand what you are saying  :187:
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it...

Offline slacker

• Versys God
  • gloucester
*Originally Posted by Tonny [+]

i agree
I'm terrified.We're in a jumbo 747, at an altitude of 30,000ft, going at 500 mph, and the drivers are asleep.
"emilio scotto"

Offline Britabroad

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
Resurrected for updates;
www.airbnb.com for great accommodation in family homes at cheap rates.

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
*Originally Posted by slacker [+]
*Originally Posted by Tonny [+]

i agree

The Bikers Home "hostel" in Ouarzazate  Morocco.
Great place.

Ted

Offline Sabresdad

• Versys Member
  • Bike: mk1 versys 650
  • City / Town: NorthumberlandX
Best advice , don't restrict yourselves to 'Bikers Hotels ', we have been touring on the Continent since the mid 80's and since 2000 go down to the Alps every year taking in Belgium , Germany ,Austria,Northern Italy  and Switzerland  plus other trips to central and Northern Germany and have NEVER had any problems with accomodation.

We have found some fantastic smaller hotels to stay in and most have either had secure bike parking or insisted we park in their own private garages. Some we have only visited once passing through whilst others we have visited on repeated occasions and the owners have become  and still are good friends

I could list 50 or 60 hotels all of which I would be more than happy to go back to, on the Continent motorcyclists are not looked down on and you are a paying customer the same as the person next to you.

We have visited small German villages on the German Baltic Coast that were in the old East German area where everyone wanted to try their English out on you and talk to you about the area they live in .

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
*Originally Posted by Sabresdad [+]
Best advice , don't restrict yourselves to 'Bikers Hotels ', we have been touring on the Continent since the mid 80's and since 2000 go down to the Alps every year taking in Belgium , Germany ,Austria,Northern Italy  and Switzerland  plus other trips to central and Northern Germany and have NEVER had any problems with accomodation.

We have found some fantastic smaller hotels to stay in and most have either had secure bike parking or insisted we park in their own private garages. Some we have only visited once passing through whilst others we have visited on repeated occasions and the owners have become  and still are good friends

I could list 50 or 60 hotels all of which I would be more than happy to go back to, on the Continent motorcyclists are not looked down on and you are a paying customer the same as the person next to you.

We have visited small German villages on the German Baltic Coast that were in the old East German area where everyone wanted to try their English out on you and talk to you about the area they live in .

tend to agree, I usually avoid bikers places, I want to mix with locals.....any hotel ive booked in Europe using www.booking.com has been fine....

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
Nice one Sabresdad.
Ted.