Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: fantastic fuel range  (Read 5737 times)

Metamec and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kernow57

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 650
  • City / Town: St Austell
Re: fantastic fuel range
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2018, 12:38 PM »
One of the main reasons I bought the Versys was the 21litre/250mile tank range my previous bike had a 14litre/150mile tank range which wasn’t so good for touring.
Kernow57

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:31 PM »
the other connected issue is the fuel gauge. at 2 bars, i almost have 2.5 gallons left in the tank. at 1 bar, as much as 1.8-1.9, topped off. but i still easily get 2-2.5 hours in the saddle at a time. get off, gas, hydrate, trail mix, get back on the road.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2018, 03:29 PM »

"... i still easily get 2-2.5 hours in the saddle at a time. get off, gas, hydrate, trail mix, get back on the road."

Sounds familiar  :008: :008: .

Not generally a familiar routine in the U.K.

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2018, 09:43 PM »
different universe ..... lol.     from where i live it's 850-900 mile simply to leave the state. long distances to get anywhere in western us/canada.

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2018, 01:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
Guitar Slinger, I commute from Stroud to London which is a 220 mile round trip for me and I can make it on one tank if it is freshly brimmed and I keep it below 80mph. In my experience the V economy is worst on motorways and best on the twisties. I can easily get over 220 miles on a ride out (about 58mpg). Normally I'm getting between 48-52 mpg with mixed riding.

On the London run the last bar on the fuel gauge starts flashing at around 180 miles as I approach Swindon, which is 30 miles from home so I normally stop at the next garage. For reference, I'm 18st in all my gear, bike is fully loaded with laptop bag, rain gear and chains/locks.

Hope that helps.
I went near Stroud on the last two weekends - a 220 mile round trip for a week at Hartpury, with panniers, rucksack and tank bag all full.  Speed was 70-ish on the motorways, 50-70mph on single/dual carriageways (with a few cheeky overtakes) and one day I did a beer run to the nearest Sainsbury's (unloaded, on the twisties). 

On the trip home, the fuel gauge went down to 1 bar with about 40 miles to go, but it got me home on Sunday and another 10 miles into work this morning before the flashing FUEL message appeared.   I was impressed with the handling and comfort on both legs of the journey, one in the pissing rain and the other in hot sunshine.

I filled up with 247 miles showing, but won't be chancing my arm to get any more, especially as I really brimmed it before the outward trip.  The bike was sat in a sunny car park all week, so I did wonder how much escaped as vapour. 

The only downside is that I seem to have neglected to check/lube my chain over the summer.  Four runs in the last month has eaten up 400 miles and my chain is a bit floppy. Still, gives me a maintenance subject to search the forum for... must do it while the weather's still good.
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2018, 09:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Guitar_Slinger [+]
I went near Stroud on the last two weekends - a 220 mile round trip for a week at Hartpury, with panniers, rucksack and tank bag all full.  Speed was 70-ish on the motorways, 50-70mph on single/dual carriageways (with a few cheeky overtakes) and one day I did a beer run to the nearest Sainsbury's (unloaded, on the twisties). 

On the trip home, the fuel gauge went down to 1 bar with about 40 miles to go, but it got me home on Sunday and another 10 miles into work this morning before the flashing FUEL message appeared.   I was impressed with the handling and comfort on both legs of the journey, one in the pissing rain and the other in hot sunshine.

I filled up with 247 miles showing, but won't be chancing my arm to get any more, especially as I really brimmed it before the outward trip.  The bike was sat in a sunny car park all week, so I did wonder how much escaped as vapour. 

The only downside is that I seem to have neglected to check/lube my chain over the summer.  Four runs in the last month has eaten up 400 miles and my chain is a bit floppy. Still, gives me a maintenance subject to search the forum for... must do it while the weather's still good.
Hatpury is where my niece is studying physiology and training for Rugby...what a small world.

Do not neglect your chain...it get's expensive if you don't (don't ask my how I know  :138:)

Online Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:09 AM »
210-220 miles to a tank. If you are planning high speed mway runs in any sort of wind with a topbox or something, had low 160 miles to a tank. It really  doesn't like sustained high speed for fuel economy.
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:16 AM »

+1 re high speed.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I ran out after 215 miles, only two miles from the next petrol station. :008: :008: Panniers but no top box and spirited riding, with stretches well in excess of national speed limits. I normally don't fill up till about 220 and still have two or three litres left over when using the top box alone. Therefore I conclude that the panniers combined with high speeds were to blame.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Check my Sig