Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: fantastic fuel range  (Read 6554 times)

Offline beckster

• Versys Pro
  • Carnmoney, Northern Ireland
fantastic fuel range
« on: Jun 10, 2007, 07:08 PM »
 :123A:I've just used the first fill up to the neck of the bike(usually just throw in ?5 or ?10) and am amazed at the fuel economy of this funky little bike.The gauge is is showing 1 bar and its not flashing but i've got 214 miles so far and there was some decent speed riding thrown in there.By my calculations thats about 57 miles to a gallon so far and still a bit to go.

How have other people found the fuel consumption,i'm well pleased!

:88:

Offline JamesD

• Versys Pro
  • Wiltshire (UK)
Re: fantastic fuel range
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2007, 06:49 AM »
234 best to a tank so far, and still had 2 ltr left  :002: I think 65MPG is poss if you wanted, but most of the time I just want to  :biker1:
I am a man of principles, if you dont like them I have others ;-)

Offline justanotherider

• Versys God
  • Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2007, 05:59 AM »
Did a little over a 1,000 miles on the Ride Sight on the weekend.  Averaged about 59 miles per gallon, riding about 70 miles per hour on average, giving a theoretical range of about 240 miles, if I have my conversions right. 

Effective range for worry-free riding looks like about 200 miles on a tank.

justanotherider
When life throws you a curve, lean into it...

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2018, 11:22 AM »
So many threads about fuel!   I've owned a Mk 2 for just over a year and the last 2 weeks were the same ride to work every day - 10 miles each way.  Most days were a 30-40mph bimble at low revs.  Two or three days I went a bit quicker on the way home (4 - 5,000 RPM) as the sun was shining and I felt like it.  :123A:

Left home this morning with 220 miles on the clock this morning and spent 10 miles with FUEL flashing at me. putting 14.42 litres in the tank  at 230 miles but not brimming it - roughly 53mpg.

I'm curious to know how far you've gone on a tankful at motorway speeds (70-80mph).  I've got a 210 mile trip coming up, where each end is 2 miles from the motorway and wonder if I'll make it in one go?
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2018, 11:30 AM by Guitar_Slinger »
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:02 PM »

May depend on wind speed and direction to some extent. I find it makes a big difference at  motorway speeds. Mind you, I have a big screen.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2018, 03:50 PM »
With a normal sized screen (i.e. not anything Rob would ride with  :008:) at an actual 80 MPH (as opposed to indicated with stock gearing) I get 50 MPG (US, 60 MPG IMP).  If you lower the speed a bit as Rob suggested in his ride report, you can get 60 MPG US easily.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Lord Muck

• Versys God
  • Iíve got a plan...
  • Bike: 2019 CB1000r
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Iím averaging 53.29 mpg but the best I ever had was a long ride up the A1 in pouring rain so I just rode in traffic for a few hours and in got 72.2 mpg, cannot beat a good down pour to steady you up and conserve fuel. :008:
"It's a mother beautiful bridge and it s gonna be there"

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2018, 03:32 AM »
over the years my 2008 has gotten 45-65 mpg, depending on ambient factors, load. recent years, upper 40s to low 50s, but very windy in deep south texas. i also tend to be heavier handed locally than on a trip re throttle.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2018, 09:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Guitar_Slinger [+]
So many threads about fuel!   I've owned a Mk 2 for just over a year and the last 2 weeks were the same ride to work every day - 10 miles each way.  Most days were a 30-40mph bimble at low revs.  Two or three days I went a bit quicker on the way home (4 - 5,000 RPM) as the sun was shining and I felt like it.  :123A:

Left home this morning with 220 miles on the clock this morning and spent 10 miles with FUEL flashing at me. putting 14.42 litres in the tank  at 230 miles but not brimming it - roughly 53mpg.

I'm curious to know how far you've gone on a tankful at motorway speeds (70-80mph).  I've got a 210 mile trip coming up, where each end is 2 miles from the motorway and wonder if I'll make it in one go?
Guitar Slinger, I commute from Stroud to London which is a 220 mile round trip for me and I can make it on one tank if it is freshly brimmed and I keep it below 80mph. In my experience the V economy is worst on motorways and best on the twisties. I can easily get over 220 miles on a ride out (about 58mpg). Normally I'm getting between 48-52 mpg with mixed riding.

On the London run the last bar on the fuel gauge starts flashing at around 180 miles as I approach Swindon, which is 30 miles from home so I normally stop at the next garage. For reference, I'm 18st in all my gear, bike is fully loaded with laptop bag, rain gear and chains/locks.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2018, 09:38 AM by jonnster71 »