Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: fantastic fuel range  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Ibraz

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 650 MK1
  • City / Town: Québec
Re: fantastic fuel range
« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2018, 04:30 AM »
Oh, with the right road (let’s say the St Laurence’s north shore sweepers and hills) and the right conditions (frisky week end with empty roads due to the G7 preparations), the 19l gen1 tank will be empty in 150 miles.
Put 17,8 liters in it the next morning.

It’ll give you 210 miles even loaded down for a long tour, but as soon as you tickle it fuel consemption rises dramatically.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2018, 11:10 AM »

Absolutely agree  :002: :002:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2018, 06:08 AM »
After 8 or.9 commutes the last bar is flashing, time to fill up, I thought... Trip is showing 242.7 miles with an ave MPG (UK) of 63.6, pretty impressive. My commute is a mixture of nice rural A roads to have a bit of fun on, especially on the way home, a bit of dual carriageway and some city crawl, better economy in the last few weeks as no school or university traffic to add to the congestion. Anyway, I could barely squeeze in 15.83L. At 4.55 L to a Gallon this works out at 69MPG, which puts the range of a full tank at a ridiculous 319 miles!
1. Is there really still 5L left in my tank after a few miles riding on a flashing last bar?
2. How reliable is any of the information I am getting from the bike? Range is completely unhelpful, MPG doesn't match my calculations and the fuel gauge is telling me it's empty when perhaps it shouldn't... Either that or the tank isn't really 21L.
3. Are my calculations all wrong?
None of this really matters as I love the bike and am happy to ride around believing what it tells me most of the time... But how long do I dare to go before filling up next time if it could still have another 80miles in it?

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Hi Graeme,

Before buying my Versys earlier this year I was reading up on them here and saw comments about the fuel guage being rather pessimistic - and it seems to be very true!

The first time I ran mine "low on fuel", the range was only displaying dashes and I was sweating. The next morning when I filled it up the trip was showing 252 and it took 17 litres.

The most that I've managed to put in was 18 litres on holiday a few weeks ago. I just leave it displaying range and know that when it gets low then there's probably at least 50 miles worth of fuel left in it.

Doesn't stop me getting nervous though.

Graham

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Went up to the Lakes last weekend.  Which ended up being a 220 miles day. I had filled the tank before we left, but got home with plenty still left. Then yesterday, which was dry  I decided to have another ride out, so went up to Kirkby Lonsdale to sit on the wall and chat to fellow bikers.

About 10 miles from home on the way out, the low fuel light started flashing.  Past experience told me that the 70 miles left to get to  " The Bridge" and back home again would be accomplished easily without having to fill up.

However, on the journey home, and whilst merrily riding past two petrol stations, slight panic set in. Finally I bottled it and pulled into the petrol station in Hawes, which is 17 miles from home .  I had exactly 300 hundred miles on the trip meter,  and the currant average showing 68.7, so I was intrigued to see how much I could get in the tank, whilst fully expecting to need almost the full 21 litres capacity to fill it.

Surprise, surprise, I would have easily got back home, and with plenty left over.  I got 18.2 litres in to fill it.  So had just short of 3 litres left. This thing never ceases to amaze me on how brilliant it can be on fuel.

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:35 PM »

My GSXS used to do a comfortable 130 miles on a tank if I ragged it but when I was sensible it would go all the way to 140.
My CB is a lot better again, I can get 160 miles a tank now!

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:59 PM »
my Mk3 hovers around 62mpg constantly (according to the dash computer) thats with riding it hard, but then again its about 10mpg less exciting than my Mk1.... :015: :003:

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2020, 05:39 PM »
My Mk1 averaged 47 MPG (US, about 56 UK) on the way back from Las Vegas the other week.  I wasn't riding "hard" on the first day, but I was cruising at a good speed for the entire length of the first day.  The second day in Oregon was slightly lower speeds (that brought better economy) mixed with better twisties that dropped the economy back to about the same 47 MPG on the only fill up that day.  In theory, that should be good for 220-230 miles w/o pushing it to the next gas station.  But, since the older Versys don't have an onboard indication of fuel economy and the gauge is notoriously unreliable as an indication of actual fuel left in the tank, I wouldn't push it past 200.  It wasn't extremely hot, but given Rob's experience with the pump failure at high temps, I wouldn't run the bike down to fumes on a trip intentionally.  Much less in the middle of nowhere Nevada, like I was on that first leg of the trip. 

Since there aren't that many actual differences between the Mk1 and Mk3 that would justify that huge discrepancy in MPG, I can only conclude that you guys are getting old and ride like my grandma, slowly and on the wrong side of the road...   :whistle:

:008:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
My Mk1 averaged 47 MPG (US, about 56 UK) on the way back from Las Vegas the other week.  I wasn't riding "hard" on the first day, but I was cruising at a good speed for the entire length of the first day.  The second day in Oregon was slightly lower speeds (that brought better economy) mixed with better twisties that dropped the economy back to about the same 47 MPG on the only fill up that day.  In theory, that should be good for 220-230 miles w/o pushing it to the next gas station.  But, since the older Versys don't have an onboard indication of fuel economy and the gauge is notoriously unreliable as an indication of actual fuel left in the tank, I wouldn't push it past 200.  It wasn't extremely hot, but given Rob's experience with the pump failure at high temps, I wouldn't run the bike down to fumes on a trip intentionally.  Much less in the middle of nowhere Nevada, like I was on that first leg of the trip. 

Since there aren't that many actual differences between the Mk1 and Mk3 that would justify that huge discrepancy in MPG, I can only conclude that you guys are getting old and ride like my grandma, slowly and on the wrong side of the road...   :whistle:

:008:

Gustavo

there are engine differences in Mk1 and Mk3, apart from the obvious difference you can feel  ( restricted, less willing to rev, clumsy in lower gears due to juddery nature of fuelling) check out the Canadian Versys forum, lots of info , the main one being different cams iirc, considering it has 5 hp more than the Mk1 it is less peppy, and feels slower.....and i did over 70k miles on 2 Mk1's
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2020, 07:30 PM by Wal »

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2020, 01:03 AM »

I've heard much the same.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.