Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Motorway riding?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Motorway riding?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2020, 01:04 AM »

You need either a smaller screen so you sit in a clean airflow and get wet when the heavens decide or you need a much bigger screen.
 At 6ft 2' I recognise that I am a mere midget, however I sit in a bubble of calm air and remain fairly dry behind a CalSci tall both on a Mk1 and Mk2 V. I haven't tried a Mk3.

https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versys650prod.html

The two downsides are that people who should know better will throw rotten tomatoes and eggs at it all the while making disparaging comments about barn doors, and that it will have a negative effect on fuel consumption in head and cross winds, and also at high speed.

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #31 on: Aug 03, 2020, 03:12 AM »
I think you are clearly exaggerating.  I would never waste a perfectly good tomato that could be composted instead.  Having said that, your windshield is as big as some barn doors and it does increase fuel consumption, as we have repeatedly tested while riding the same routes at the same speeds...    :whistle:

*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
When you encounter strong/gusty winds sit a bit closer to the tank, loosen your grip on the bars (make sure your arms are loose too, in the US we often refer to this as "doing the chicken dance" to make sure your arms/elbows are loose) and let the bike do its thing. 

I wanted to add here that you should use your knees to hold yourself up instead of holding the bars tightly when it's windy.  It's good riding technique anyway (we tend to get lazy in "normal" conditions and pick up bad habits), but especially important when you are trying to unload your upper torso, so you don't introduce any unintended inputs to the handlebar.   :biker1:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #32 on: Aug 03, 2020, 11:15 AM »

You forgot to mention that you find the tall windshields buffet you  :whistle: .
There's no one size fits all on this topic.

+1 on a light pressure with the knees against the tank. Makes a big difference to bike stability.
 Not so sure about unloading the torso. It's the stiffness in my grimy riding gear that keeps me upright  :2: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.