Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2012 Verys 650 and Cross Winds  (Read 1518 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: 2012 Verys 650 and Cross Winds
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
for example a motorcyclist in the outer lane riding at a very similar speed to one in the lane on his inside where they could quite conceivably, and perfectly legally, be offset by a similar distance yet even closer or indeed alongside each other

No difference, but why would anyone need to do this? When motorcyclists ride in separate lanes, they can both ride in the middle of the lane and thus have a full width of a lane separating them laterally.  When the following distance becomes less, the motorcyclist approaching from behind can even switch their lane position so that there will be more lateral separation between the two.

Or to put it this way. Riding in a staggered formation gives a reason to have less than the full lane to yourself. Your described scenario does not. If someone still decides to do it for whatever reason, it is a separate topic, one is perfectly entitled to turning the handlebars and riding into the nearest tree if they so wish.

I don't know what exactly is taught in the police motorcycle course, we'd need to review that to actually discuss it. Riding in a staggered formation would be perfectly fine if you didn't decrease your following distance from 2s to 1s as a result, maybe except on narrow lanes where keeping to the middle would give you more space cushion to act against things like the aforementioned side wind. Besides that, the police course probably teaches several different parade formations which are not meant to be used in traffic and don't have much to do with safety on public roads.

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Re: 2012 Verys 650 and Cross Winds
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
No difference, but why would anyone need to do this?

I don't know what exactly is taught in the police motorcycle course, we'd need to review that to actually discuss it.

Besides that, the police course probably teaches several different parade formations which are not meant to be used in traffic and don't have much to do with safety on public roads.

Not parade formation at all. Its function is to transport a number of motorcyclists from one location to another safely whilst using up the minimum road space necessary.

You could double the length of the line of motorcycles one behind the other bit if you have a group of 10 bikes for example it is imho a much better way to achieve the objective. There are other benefits but I will leave it at that.
No solution is insurmountable...