Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Front wheel chock / stand.  (Read 453 times)

Offline Shepherd

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Southend ish
Front wheel chock / stand.
« on: Jun 07, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting a chock type thingy to bolt to my bike shed floor. Room is tight, so if I can just wheel the bike in, get off and it will stay upright, it'll make life easier.
This is the type of thing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383873734402
Does anyone use anything like this? Does it scratch the rims? And is it secure enough to hold up the bike without my listening out for a crash from the shed.
Appreciate any views from owners of similar.

Shep

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Front wheel chock / stand.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2021, 05:18 AM »
I had a similar one.  It works well, doesn't scratch the rim and is solid enough for me to transport a bike in the bed of my pick-up truck, almost w/o any help from the tie-downs.  If it was bolted down to the bed, I'd probably try it, for science...   :124:

In the garage, I've been on and off the bike many times, while adjusting the suspension and explaining how to lean over on a race bike to a friend, no chance of the bike tipping over.

The only reason I said I "had" one, is that I have the opposite problem.  I wanted a chock that easily folds relatively flat so it takes less space when I am not using it, and the version I had didn't.  I ended up with one similar to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123480373096?

Because, as you can see in the pictures, it's easy to disassemble and store when not in use.  It also happens to work better in my truck, but I don't think it's any more stable.

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Vstrom 1050 XT
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2021, 02:29 PM »
I bought the Bikegrab for my 650 Versys a lot more expensive but super strong. I chose the Bikegrab because it has a small ramp into it instead of a flip over thingy. They need screwing down though or else they move back when you tug the bike out and they don't scratch the rim because its the tyre that grips, hope this helps.

Brian 

Offline Shepherd

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Southend ish
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2021, 11:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies , it is appreciated.
The Bike Grab looks a good bit of kit, but maybe a little bulky for where I would use it. I have about an inch and a half before the door would hit the bike.
The ebay type looks like it has less backward 'rake', and as we know - every inch counts.
I was concerned it would mark the rims, but it seems it's worth giving one a try.
Thanks again. :152:

Shep