Author Broken Down  (Read 13686 times)

ste1005 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Online ste1005   gb

    • Versys Member  ‐    26
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #10

    Online ste1005

    • Versys Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 26
    • Country: gb

  • Offline Clunkyboy   gb

    • Versys Mega God  ‐    9883
    • ******
      #11

    Offline Clunkyboy

    • Versys Mega God
    • ******
    • Posts: 9883
    • Scratchin Bros Rider
    • Country: gb
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2023, 09:13 pm
    Jul 06, 2023, 09:13 pm
    That sounds like a steal, almost worth just doing on an older bike rather than waiting fir a failure. If you do fit and use it would be intrested in your views.
    Nice one :123A:
    MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

  • Online ste1005   gb

    • Versys Member  ‐    26
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #12

    Online ste1005

    • Versys Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 26
    • Country: gb
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2023, 02:53 pm
    Jul 15, 2023, 02:53 pm
    So.. 🤞🏻 this time tomorrow Ill fill her back up with oil, start her up and the problem will be fixed!!

    Had a nightmare with the engine bars but all together and letting the gasket sealant do its thing before tensioning the bolts. For my own peace of mind I wired in a voltage reader whilst I was at it!




  • Offline TowerMan   scotland

    • Information Guru
    • Versys Mega God  ‐    9068
    • *
      #13

    Offline TowerMan

    • Information Guru
    • Versys Mega God
    • *
    • Posts: 9068
    • V.I.G.S. rules OK
    • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
    • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
    • Country: scotland
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2023, 04:03 pm
    Jul 15, 2023, 04:03 pm
    Remember that the stator is oil cooled, so always ensure that fill your oil up to the max level or a bit more. 👍
    Richard    :001: 

    PS -

  • Offline Topbox   gb

    • Versys Pro  ‐    130
    • ***
      #14

    Offline Topbox

    • Versys Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 130
    • City / Town: Leeds
    • Country: gb
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2023, 04:18 pm
    Jul 15, 2023, 04:18 pm
    *Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
    Remember that the stator is oil cooled, so always ensure that fill your oil up to the max level or a bit more. 👍

    I have noted your comment about this before and since my stator went I religously keep the oil at your recommended level.

    But I have wondered how that works. It can't run in a bath of oil and I can't imagine the oil pumps more oil. So this one puzzles me.

    TB

  • Offline TowerMan   scotland

    • Information Guru
    • Versys Mega God  ‐    9068
    • *
      #15

    Offline TowerMan

    • Information Guru
    • Versys Mega God
    • *
    • Posts: 9068
    • V.I.G.S. rules OK
    • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
    • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
    • Country: scotland
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2023, 06:36 pm
    Jul 15, 2023, 06:36 pm
    *Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
    I have noted your comment about this before and since my stator went I religously keep the oil at your recommended level.

    But I have wondered how that works. It can't run in a bath of oil and I can't imagine the oil pumps more oil. So this one puzzles me.

    TB

    This is why on the V650 - its all to do with the electricity generated by the stator.

    Why the left-hand crank case cover run hotter than the right-hand is follows:

    The stator is housed and bolted to the inside of the left-hand case cover.
    The design of the electrical charging cct (series regulator) is that 100% of the generator is outputted all the time.
    What is not used by the bike electrical system is dumped back into the stator windings / cover, in the form of heat.
    As the stator is effectively oil cooled, running the oil level at the upper mark will poss ensure that the stator runs a bit cooler (extending its life), than when running the oil at the lower level   :028:
    The hotter the stator gets the quicker it fails, especially in hot climates.
    Richard    :001: 

    PS -

  • Offline Topbox   gb

    • Versys Pro  ‐    130
    • ***
      #16

    Offline Topbox

    • Versys Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 130
    • City / Town: Leeds
    • Country: gb
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2023, 07:45 pm
    Jul 15, 2023, 07:45 pm
    *Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
    This is why on the V650 - its all to do with the electricity generated by the stator.

    Why the left-hand crank case cover run hotter than the right-hand is follows:

    The stator is housed and bolted to the inside of the left-hand case cover.
    The design of the electrical charging cct (series regulator) is that 100% of the generator is outputted all the time.
    What is not used by the bike electrical system is dumped back into the stator windings / cover, in the form of heat.
    As the stator is effectively oil cooled, running the oil level at the upper mark will poss ensure that the stator runs a bit cooler (extending its life), than when running the oil at the lower level   :028:
    The hotter the stator gets the quicker it fails, especially in hot climates.

    Big thanks for that.  Just re inforces that I'm not an electrics guy. Probably not a mechanics guy either come to think of it.

    Thanks again

    TB

  • Offline InverterMan   ca

    • Versys Pro  ‐    179
    • ***
      #17

    Offline InverterMan

    • Versys Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 179
    • Bike: 15 Versys
    • City / Town: Kitchener
    • Country: ca
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2023, 05:33 pm
    Nov 29, 2023, 05:33 pm

  • Offline Topbox   gb

    • Versys Pro  ‐    130
    • ***
      #18

    Offline Topbox

    • Versys Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 130
    • City / Town: Leeds
    • Country: gb
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2023, 03:43 pm
    Nov 30, 2023, 03:43 pm
    *Originally Posted by InverterMan [+]

    TLDR

    You dont say how many miles your stator did before the  troubles re occurred.

    My stator went at 41000 miles in 2022 (dont know if it was original) replaced it with one from Wemoto, still going after 15000 miles.

    TB

  • Offline raptor   00

    • Versys Pro  ‐    264
    • ***
      #19

    Offline raptor

    • Versys Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 264
    • Bike: Tuono,Versys,MT7
    • City / Town: Lancashire
    • Country: 00
    Re: Broken Down
    Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2023, 12:35 pm
    Dec 23, 2023, 12:35 pm
    If the author of this topic, ste 1005, happens to see this I would be interested to know how the new stator and reg/rec have performed.  I am having electrical issues on the charging/battery side and once I have completed checks I may need to order similar to what you bought so it would be nice to know if it's working well.

    Thanks.