Author A Ride. Plan... I gave up counting... Just call it "Carinda to the Coast"  (Read 7666 times)

• Offline OneBlackDog   au

• Versys Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    • [Insert witty personal text here]
    • Bike: KLE650 & KLR650
    • City / Town: Brisbane, Aus
    Re: A Ride. Plan... I gave up counting... Just call it "Carinda to the Coast"
    Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2023, 01:58 am
    Nov 26, 2023, 01:58 am
    That it was

*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
    Sounds fun
    Cheers,

John

• Versys Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2023, 02:41 am
    Nov 26, 2023, 02:41 am
    The next day.

Day 4 & Monday, neither of which really matter.

After a good sleep in a warm bed & a hot breakfast at a local cafe (purple vinyl on the benches & Slim Dusty on the CD player - a rock-a-billy/country mash-up), a quick meet-up with a few other riders I met at the rally, it was off to the look-out - as suggested by the cafe owner - gotta love a big view on a clear morning.

A great day for a ride. A great place for a ride.

Down the hill, turn right & follow the Gwydir River upstream on an easy, windy, hilly bitumen road through a mix of grazing land & National Park. Bliss. Cool, but not cold. Sunny, but not hot.

Turn right at Bundarra, then left onto Thunderbolts Way, admire the old stone buildings & settlers who came here to the unknown, and wonder about Captain Thunderbolt (the "Gentleman Bushranger" who died in 1870). Sheep. Cattle. Grass. Trees. Hills & plains. Hope & life.

Take in the view.

The colours of the country

10:38 A few clouds over the hills...

And roll on towards the city of Armidale.

Shearing sheds & rolling hills

Cows & clouds

Cheers,

John

• Versys Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:26 am
    Jan 22, 2024, 06:26 am
     :187:

Wow, and backwards, woW. Where did those weeks go????

It got near 40 degrees today and I'm just not up for riding, so I'll try to remember (and share) the last day of this great ride.

I need to remember...

Bundarra Road rolled gently across Boorolong Creek which had cut into the ancient granite making what would be an awesome summer swimming hole (at about 800m above sea level and about 2000 km upstream from the ocean). The bitumen rolled lazily east through some forest & grazing land, under the North-South Armidale bypass, past the sale yards, some light industrial areas, a couple of large old private schools with many stone buildings, along a wide tree lined suburban street, across the railway bridge, past some more timber & brick houses on quarter acre blocks, avoid the centre of the city, a quick left then right and Armidale is behind me and I'm onto the Waterfall Way. Heading to the waterfalls.

The V650 was happy. I was happy.

After about 10 more minutes of rolling farmland there was a nice spot to stop. And it's time. Time for a feed. Time to stop and enjoy. Then time to leave the (New England) tablelands and ride towards the hills and the rain.

Sorry, no photos here. Sometimes I just want to ride...

Cheers,

John

• Offline TYKE   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    890

Offline TYKE

• Versys Master
    • Bike: Versys 650
    • City / Town: Cumbria
    Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:55 am
    Jan 22, 2024, 06:55 am
    Shame there's  no pictures as your ride sounds superb,  :37:   
    NAH THEN ...EY UP.....

• Versys Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:07 am
    Jan 22, 2024, 07:07 am

Half an hour later I can see where the rain has been. I can also feel where the rain has been. The road narrows, the road winds, the road climbs & falls and climbs a bit more. Wollomombi is off to the left, then my narrow bitumen snake passes smoothly betwwen Cathederal Rock National Park & Serpentine Nature Reserve, and climbs to over 1300 metres - just.

The temperature drops. Ebor is always cold, but this... I have my rain liner in the summer jacket (the one with some vents that don't close) and my winter gloves are at home... I haven't quite caught up with the rain and I can't find anywhere safe to stop so I keep riding, slowly, but still riding. I know where there is a great place to stop, it's only about 20 - 25 minutes on a good day, but the wet & cold made it seem like...

from over there

Out of the forest & into dairy country, just below 1000 m (This afternoon I will be at sea level, so only 1 km to go).

going that way

"There is no bad weather, just wrong clothes"

Last Edit: Jan 22, 2024, 07:08 am by OneBlackDog
    Cheers,

John

• Versys Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:57 am
    Jan 22, 2024, 07:57 am

The rain has gone, but the roads are still a bit wet, and the rear tyre has seen too many straight roads. But I'm am out riding...

Waterfall Way rolls through the old timber town of Dorrigo (still alive thanks to tourists, farmers & few hippies). I would usually stop, but today, the coast is calling. 10 minutes later and it's the "Waterfall" part of the Waterfall Way. From just over 700 m down to under 70 m in about 10 km of narrow, windy bitumen cut into the cliff in a rainforest while also being a trucking route. Great sport!

There's even a rest stop. And some single-lane bits. I scored a great run down - very little traffic, and I caught up to the trucks at the passing lanes. Win!

Newell Falls

does my...

It's warm at sea level by the sea. I had to take the rain liner out, open the jacket & pant vents and be thankful I had the summer gloves. I rolled through more lush farmland beside the Bellinger River, through the old farming (& new hippy tourist) town of Bellingen and finally onto the M1 for a blast in the traffic for (only) 10 minutes, but it seemed like hours... and then to the beach.

Looking good for a swim tomorrow with Dad.

Thanks for following along.

John

Cheers,

John

• Offline TYKE   gb

• Versys Master  ‐    890

Offline TYKE

• Versys Master
    • Bike: Versys 650
    • City / Town: Cumbria
    Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2024, 11:20 am
    Jan 22, 2024, 11:20 am
    Excellent, thanks for sharing....some of those picture could almost be mistaken for the U.K ....apart from the great road surface that is  :008:   
    NAH THEN ...EY UP.....

• Versys Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2024, 12:28 pm
    Jan 22, 2024, 12:28 pm
    *Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
    Excellent, thanks for sharing....some of those picture could almost be mistaken for the U.K ....apart from the great road surface that is  :008:

Thanks for following along
    Well, the area on day 2 is known as The New England Tableland
    Don't worry, there are plenty of shockers out there

Cheers,

John

allergic