Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Versys Frame Crack  (Read 9173 times)

tsmj

Versys Frame Crack
« on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:43 AM »
As the Versys uses the same frame as the ER6N and 650R, I checked out this website today..

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index_files/Possible%20Frame%20Issue.pdf

Went out to the garage, shone a torch on the frame under the right had engine mount and sure as hell, its got a small crack with a little rust..! argghh
Doesnt look too bad, but no crack is good. :157:

I then loosened the RH Engine bolt as in the document and just as the doc said, it opened up a gap of about 4mm between the bolt cover and the engine mount.!!

Im gonna buy some washers for this to pack out the gap as it takes some considerable over torquing to get the frame closed to the mount again.. not good.

Ill be talking to the local Kawa dealer about this and see if they have seen it on other models..  Will let you know the findings..

I would urge any of you to read this document and check your bikes..

Offline invader

• Versys Pro
  • Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Re: Versys Frame Crack
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Good call, tsmj!! I'll be sure to check my new 2007 when I get it, and add stainless washer(s) to fill the gap. The visible collar should be longer... Do you reckon that your crack could just be welded back up, with a small stainless steel rod or with TIG welder?
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008, 08:55 AM by invader »

tsmj

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by invader [+]
Good call, tsmj!! I'll be sure to check my new 2007 when I get it, and add stainless washer(s) to fill the gap... Do you reckon that yours could just be welded back up, with a small stainless steel rod or with TIG welder?

Thanks Mate, it is a tiny crack, not like some of the ones in the doc linked above.. I want to see what Kawa have to say first, if its too painful, then yes, will just get it welded and re powder coated..

From looking at various sites, Kawasaki dont seem to admit to anything, even though there are many cases.. And where they have, they have blamed non Kawa crash bungs..! Mines never had em! its obvious its the stress of the over torquing of the bolt.

Offline veepeetee

• Versys Pro
  • Grrrrrrrr - the rage of an electronic musician. ;D
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:21 AM »
  Okay so THIS is why it's not such a good idea to put in a 1000cc engine... Oh crap. Will have to check mine also.
There's no business like no business

Offline invader

• Versys Pro
  • Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by tsmj [+]
its obvious its the stress of the over torquing of the bolt.
The bolt was 'overtorqued' upon assembly, or torqued until the frame tab sat on the collar, which is just too short. Short of machining a longer bushing, which I wonder If Kawasaki will change to, a washer(s) of proper thickness will do the trick, besides rewelding the tab/frame.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008, 08:56 AM by invader »

tsmj

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Absolutely.. sooner folk check and sort it, the better.!

Offline jaybo

• Versys Master
  • Mobile Breast Inspection Unit
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:05 AM »
So... could this possibly lead to accidents / deaths on the road?

If so, why the hell aren't Kawa doing anything about it? And why the hell are they doing it in the 1st place!?  :5:
Driving down the motorway doing 125. Close my eyes and count to 10. Ha ha, I'm still alive.

T - Vespa T5 Classic 125 (Black)
Y - Suzuki SV650S (Black) 07 - Kawasaki Versys 650 (Black) 09 - Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Black) 87 - Suzuki GSXR750 - In Progress!

Offline suepahfly

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:40 AM »
I just went down to check, but my Versys has slightly different bracket attachement compared to the pictures in the pdf.

The pics in the pdf all show a simple flat sheet like bracket that is welded to the frame-rod. Whereas my Versys has a bracket that has sort of an oversized tubular section that hugs the frame tube and is welded on around the edges of the tubular-hugging-thingy.

Oh I really need to post a pic with this, but can't now. Will do later.
Erotic is when use a feather. Exotic is when you use the whole chicken.

tsmj

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by suepahfly [+]
I just went down to check, but my Versys has slightly different bracket attachement compared to the pictures in the pdf.

The pics in the pdf all show a simple flat sheet like bracket that is welded to the frame-rod. Whereas my Versys has a bracket that has sort of an oversized tubular section that hugs the frame tube and is welded on around the edges of the tubular-hugging-thingy.

Oh I really need to post a pic with this, but can't now. Will do later.

Be good to get a pic of yours.. after some more reading, apparently Kawasaki revised the frame for late 07 and 08 models.  Easiest way to check is to undo the engine bolt and see if the frame opens up.

Though you may be one of the lucky ones..!

tsmj

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:53 AM »
Apparently, this is the 08 frame.. though its the same diagram as in the 07, maybe just the same diagram re-used by kawa?