Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: fantastic fuel range  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: fantastic fuel range
« Reply #30 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

I've heard much the same.

Rob.

yeah, that Gustavo bloke is just a worky ticket..... :008: :015:

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #31 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]

there are engine differences in Mk1 and Mk3, apart from the obvious difference you can feel  ( restricted, less willing to rev, clumsy in lower gears due to juddery nature of fuelling) check out the Canadian Versys forum, lots of info , the main one being different cams iirc, considering it has 5 hp more than the Mk1 it is less peppy, and feels slower.....and i did over 70k miles on 2 Mk1's

Wal, yes, I know they made some changes, but they are minor (5 HP at the top end usually do not translate to much of a difference in the midrange).  I think the reason that it doesn't feel as peppy is that those horses are way up there and the weight gain from Mk1 to Mk3 has to be carried around all the time.  The lean fueling may have a lot more to do with the better economy than the extra power. 

Anyway, I still think that if you get 68 MPG you drive like my grandmother...   :007:

:008:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Gustavo , see how long you can drive on the wrong side of the road  and you too will ride like a  a gradma .

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #33 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Wal, yes, I know they made some changes, but they are minor (5 HP at the top end usually do not translate to much of a difference in the midrange).  I think the reason that it doesn't feel as peppy is that those horses are way up there and the weight gain from Mk1 to Mk3 has to be carried around all the time.  The lean fueling may have a lot more to do with the better economy than the extra power. 

Anyway, I still think that if you get 68 MPG you drive like my grandmother...   :007:

:008:

Gustavo

i'm sure if you rode a Mk 3 the difference would be immediately apparent to you, the engine feels softer at low revs, its not just down to weight,... i'd totally agree with your mileage figures for the Mk1, mine were roughly the same,  i ride the Mk3 in exactly the same way, but i get higher mpg,  but its not as pokey/fast

in the days when i would/could change a cam in an engine or mess about with compression ratio's with different pistons etc, it feels like i had put a softer cam in....i think the 5 hp has been used up to try and  maintain similar power but with increased emission control, (and running leaner) the Mk3 has charcoal canister etc, which the earlier models didn't have, plus, i agree, its a bit heavier

and i don't think you realise how fast our granny's are over here......pure badass.... :008:

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 18, 2020, 05:15 PM »
and i don't think you realise how fast our granny's are over here......pure badass.... :008:

Wal spends a lot of time chasing them so he should know.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #35 on: Oct 18, 2020, 06:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]

:008: :4: :008: :4:

Go Wal...   :biker1: :biker1:

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2020, 06:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by mac one [+]
Gustavo , see how long you can drive on the wrong side of the road  and you too will ride like a  a gradma .

I have driven and ridden on the wrong side of the road.  I admit that in a car it's easier, because being seated on the right side helps my brain adjust when dealing with turns and traffic.  On a bike, it takes a lot more concentration to avoid moving to the wrong side of the road.

Gustavo

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2020, 07:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]

if they still have a pulse it's game on..............no incontinence is a bonus... :015:
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2020, 07:39 PM by Wal »

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2020, 09:01 PM »

if they still have a pulse it's game on..............no incontinence is a bonus... :015:

I like to see a man with standards.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:25 PM »

Yea, grannies. They're another trick altogether. I'm married to one at the upper end of the demographic. Wal's right, no incontinence is a huge bonus. A loaded adult diaper around the rear sprocket would be no fun at all :5: . Even Stewie might turn up his nose at it.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.